New ADG 6.5 PRC brass not chambering

Hunting Hard, I hope you read Phil Rizzo's response, much insight for you there. I would bump the shoulder back on the tight brass, not sweat it at all. You maybe over reacting to what you think is a bad thing, when it is actually a blessing. I would much rather have a chamber that is a tad short vs one that is long where the brass headspace is going to expand .006-.012 upon firing(belted mags), The reason is case stretch. I like my cases to have minumum stretch in the chamber, which can leade to longer case life, especially when firing warm loads near the top of the pressure curve.

Whether it is the brass Headspace that is longer or a chamber headspace that is shorter, does not matter, you can make a "custom" fit easily which is to your GREAT advantage.

When I am forming wild cats, I set the headspace where I have slight resistance in closing the bolt, and I keep the bolt lugs greased every 25 rounds so they do not gaul. So, by setting the headspace on the wild cat chamber so it will have minimal case stretch, the brass lasts many, many firings, if I keep the necks annealed.

Best of luck!
Okay thank you Vince for the additional information. Is Very worth considering.

I always full length size with expander ball on new brass. Chamfer inside and out. Then start load development with the new brass. Once that load has all been once fired then re- visit the load on the second firing to confirm that pressure hasn't changed now that the brass is formed.

I don't think your ADG brass is bad.

I had a problem with once fired Lapua brass in the 6.5 PRC not chambering. Lightly turned necks and problem resolved. With the PRC class cartridges and the tighter tolerances I am wondering if the better brass being heavier might be an issue.

Oh yeah, once fired, 1.5-2 thousandths bump back should make for easy chambering and long case life.
Hunting Hard, I hope you read Phil Rizzo's response, much insight for you there. I would bump the shoulder back on the tight brass, not sweat it at all. You maybe over reacting to what you think is a bad thing, when it is actually a blessing. I would much rather have a chamber that is a tad short vs one that is long where the brass headspace is going to expand .006-.012 upon firing(belted mags), The reason is case stretch. I like my cases to have minumum stretch in the chamber, which can leade to longer case life, especially when firing warm loads near the top of the pressure curve.

Whether it is the brass Headspace that is longer or a chamber headspace that is shorter, does not matter, you can make a "custom" fit easily which is to your GREAT advantage.

When I am forming wild cats, I set the headspace where I have slight resistance in closing the bolt, and I keep the bolt lugs greased every 25 rounds so they do not gaul. So, by setting the headspace on the wild cat chamber so it will have minimal case stretch, the brass lasts many, many firings, if I keep the necks annealed.

Best of luck!
Read the above 2 Posts , ^^^
You can alleviate your "Problem" of, possibly having,.. "Tight Headspace" by, Surface grinding about, .004 / .005 Off, the Top of, your, Shell Holder.
You "May" have, a "Short Chamber" OR, MAYBE,. your Shell Holder Dimension or, Internal Die Dim.,.. could Be,.. too Tall.
My grandson, is having NO "issues" with, ADG,.. 6.5 PRC, Brass and Forster Dies.
IF you still have trouble,.. Consult, a GOOD Gun Smith to, Check it Out !
A little Bit of, HAND Reaming, can Fix the "Short Chamber" issue,.. IF it's,.. THE "Problem"

Last edited:
I always full length size with expander ball on new brass. Chamfer inside and out. Then start load development with the new brass. Once that load has all been once fired then re- visit the load on the second firing to confirm that pressure hasn't changed now that the brass is formed.

I don't think your ADG brass is bad.
How much shoulder bump are you seeing FL sizing new brass? I generally lower the expander ball on FL dies and just make sure the necks are where I'm going to be loading them. Saves having to lube and then clean them, normally there is little to no resistance sizing new cases

How much shoulder bump are you seeing FL sizing new brass? I generally lower the expander ball on FL dies and just make sure the necks are where I'm going to be loading them. Saves having to lube and then clean them, normally there is little to no resistance sizing new cases
I don't get carried away with measuring bump. I set the die to the shell holder and run them all. Sometimes no lube needed and sometimes lube is needed. I am very much a keep it simple stupid guy. By setting the full length die to the shell holder always, it gives me easy, repeatable consistency. I keep the same shell holder with it's die set so always the same.

I don't get carried away with measuring bump. I set the die to the shell holder and run them all. Sometimes no lube needed and sometimes lube is needed. I am very much a keep it simple stupid guy. By setting the full length die to the shell holder always, it gives me easy, repeatable consistency. I keep the same shell holder with it's die set so always the same.
sounds like a good recipe for early headspace separation. I don't know how measuring headspace bump isn't keeping it simple.

Last edited:
I used to be that way. Until I had a belted mag die pushing the shoulder back .014. Needless to say brass didn't last long.

I guess if there is excess head space in the chamber then it could be an issue. I think If I have ever had to do anything it is to cam over a bit harder on the sizer to lessen a crush fit for easier bolt closing.

FL die to chamber compatability in factory chambered rifles is all over the board as we all know. It is rare for me to over cam when sizing my current rifles brass, but I have a couple that need it. I agree the OP"s brass is out of spec/bad, .006 variance on the shoulder is a lot.

There are tolerances in chambers, brass and dies. Sometimes these things can stack up and work against you. Typically brass will be at or below minimum chamber spec so that it will chamber in a tight chamber. Dies are usually the same. They want to size to min spec so you can resize your brass and it will chamber. I have never seen new brass that would not chamber so if I was the op I would talk to the brass maker. Having to size it back a little is not a deal breaker but should not be necessary. If he has a tight chamber and the brass is over
Min spec maybe. I have seen occasionally where a guy has a tight chamber and the die is over spec a bit and it will not size the brass so it chambers. Rare but does happen. In my case I had a belted mag which are notoriously short because they are set off the belt from the factory. Not uncommon to have .010 shoulder growth on the first firing. Slightly long chamber and min spec die and you get .014 shoulder bump. Single shot also so bolt feel was not an option.