New 338 Edge finished

ATH

First, thanks to all who provided feedback on my prior thread when I was considering building on a Savage:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-edge-savage-build-questions-177816/index3.html

Due to the near impossibility of making it a repeater, and desiring this in a hunting rifle, I built on a Stiller Predator.
- 30" McGowan barrel, Sendero contour
- Heathen brake
- McMillan A3 Sporter
- Jewell trigger, 1.3lbs
- Bottom metal/floorplate from Stocky's
- Wyatt's CFE9 4" box and follower
- Burris XTR II 5-25X
- Burris Signature Extreme rings
- About 12.4lbs all together

It was hard picking a load because the rifle liked everything I tried with the 285gr ELD-M. All that stuck out was the highest load I tried with Re33, 2980fps, 1/3MOA at 300 yards. Everything else also .5 MOA or so. The only pressure sign is some ejector mark coming on, so I'm not going higher, but I will try this for awhile before deciding whether I need to back down to 2950fps to go easier on the brass. ES with both of these loads is 12fps or less.

I thought the Heathen may be too small but the rifle is a pussycat and I could shoot it all day. It moves me around but it's a slow push.

I learned about the Edge here originally, and I appreciate the contributions of Shawn, Broz, and others who helped me learn about this great round.
333-11.jpg

For anyone thinking of trying this, the action modifications necessary to make the Wyatt's box fit are not insignificant and best done with a mill. But with some patience and a dremel I got it done, and it turned out fine. I'd recommend you go with a side bolt release action like the Predator if at all possible, it makes the bolt stop mod easier.

Hopefully I'll get to try it out on an elk or mule deer in the Bob Marshall this fall. I have plans to shoot a match ranging from 1200 to 2000 yards in August, as well as some long range prairie dog attempts at some point.

After a 1.3" 3-shot group at 300 yards I wondered if it was a fluke, so I tried it again today and got 1.1" at 2970 fps. Yes, I can live with this load!!

I've messed with the 285 gr ELD Match in my 338 Edge a little over a year ago, accuracy was good, they shot as good as the 285 gr AMAX and expanded identically on water jugs at 50 yards, not a reliable bullet for close range use over 3000 fps but should work beyond 500 yards, might be updating my load data soon, have more loaded ready to shoot, will post in this thread when I get around to it.....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-edge-285-gr-eld-match-rl33-169937/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.