New .22 Cal Matchking

Jeff, Once again great information, and for clarifying the JLK length issue.

I have a similar philosophy to you on seating depth, as depending on the bullet type, I either start .010 out, and move further out, or start about .010 in, and then move further in if necessary. However, seating .050 into the lands took my breath away, as I confess to not having the courage to try further than about .025 into the lands, as I try to avoid getting the unpleasant experience of having a chamber full of powder if I have to extract the round without firing.

Interested to hear that you got significantly more shots out of a cut rifled barrel, and that you preferred using barrels with an odd number of grooves. You also mentioned that the odd number of grooves seemed to be easier on everything. Did you mean it was easier on bullet jackets, (less fouling) and produced less chamber pressure? Regards, Brian.

Brian

Sure seems like less fouling. Seems like a larger sweet spot. Easy to clean. Less finicky with the loading etc...

With a brand new barrel I could not extract the 50th rounds without a mess. After about 1000 rounds I could then extract them as is intact. Probably the leade was worn a bit....

Sorry I have no better or more scientific info-- lots of this is just from shooting and being happier with the odd number of grooves.

I do feel that the odd grooves allow more speed with less pressure, much like moly allows a bit also.

Jeff

BTW I am like you . I start 10th either way. And on seating. Try 25th first. If the accuracy isn't what you want, then start moving up. Of course I'm dealing with a true VLD and the sierra should be fine at 10 or 20 off to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.