Sierra .30 cal 230gr. Matchking

.gacton

I found a bullet on the Sierra website I want to try in my 300 PRC when we get it finished (may change the throat in my FTR rifle for it). Their new 230gr. Matchking. It has a listed G1 BC of .800, with the meplats are already pointed. Wondering what the G7 is. Sounds interesting. Any thoughts?

Thats just for a certain velocity band of the bullet. Sierra gives you the full Band.

If you take the full Velocity band and average it out you will get .773 For a G1

That should be around .380 for a G7

I will add this if your bullet never gets below the velocity Band for the .800 BC thats all you need. BUT if you shooting below it you need to take the complete band into the equation.

.800 G1 is about .394 G7. Or very close to that.

Some ballistic apps will allow you to enter the G1 for the stepped velocity brackets exactly how Sierra lists it.

I've done that before and its been very accurate for me

Have you considered the 225 eld match as a handloading option? With a .777 bc its basically on par, 5 grains lighter (not that this is much of a difference), cheaper, as a tipped projectile should be much more reliably frangible if hunting is on the table, and perhaps most importantly, stabilizes in a 1-10 twist. The 230 they recommend a 1-8. What twist is your barrel?

Have you considered the 225 eld match as a handloading option? With a .777 bc its basically on par, 5 grains lighter (not that this is much of a difference), cheaper, as a tipped projectile should be much more reliably frangible if hunting is on the table, and perhaps most importantly, stabilizes in a 1-10 twist. The 230 they recommend a 1-8. What twist is your barrel?
I have considered the ELD-M. It is an option. I am building with a 1:8 twist.

No worries about stability I see. Worth noting again that the hornady tests are listing the .777 bc with a 10 twist. Out of a 7 or 8 twist (can't remember) they're claiming right around .8. But of course many people report Sierra bullets as being more consistent/easier to tune. I'm not biased towards hornady so much as inexperienced with much else. I myself just acquired 200 count of the 225 elds for use in my .300 win mag, planning on trying with imr 8133, fed 215m, and treating bullets and bore with hex boron nitride. Will be measuring and weighing to see how consistent they are. Pleasantly surprised to see the poly tip on the 225 (and therefore the size of the hollow point below) is significantly larger than the tips on hornady 208s. I want these to expand/fragment violently and it looks promising.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.