Nevada Bull

Just took my first Bull 2 days ago here in Nevada. Tough conditions and lack of elk was making it rough. What elk we could spot were high around 9000ft. This bull showed up out of nowhere hanging out with some horses, and I was able to make it happen. It was one hell of a pack out with just me and my dad in the dark at 8°F, so grateful and a hunt Ill never forget.

(6.5x284 with 140 Berger VLDs)

View attachment 224861View attachment 224862
That was a great hunt, outstanding bull, and a hunt with your dad you'll never forget!

Nice Bull. Having hunted/killed antelope with that same bullet in a .264 WinMag for many yrs and having killed 19 elk with several different rifles and rounds, I can tell you that Berger 6.5 140 VLD is not an elk bullet. Great for antelope and deer, but opens too much and too fast for elk. Granted, had your first shot been thru the boiler room, it would probably have worked just fine, but it does not have the stability or retention for bone shots on a bull like that, or any elk for that matter. Great that you followed up and made sure he was done. Again, congrats, beautiful bull and experience with your dad!

Good job,

The nevada drawing system.... I've put in for nevada elk for 22 years now without a draw. supposedly lots of points. Duck is up to 6 years and antelope is at 9 years. I end up going out of state.
Congratulations on your 1st bull and good, ethical job to insure the kill.
PS to Bud:
Dang, 22 years of trying for a tag. That's crazy for a resident. Idaho's FnG has over regulated elk hunting so that some hunts are now long shots and others are even impossible because of caps and waiting periods.

Last edited:
Just took my first Bull 2 days ago here in Nevada. Tough conditions and lack of elk was making it rough. What elk we could spot were high around 9000ft. This bull showed up out of nowhere hanging out with some horses, and I was able to make it happen. It was one hell of a pack out with just me and my dad in the dark at 8°F, so grateful and a hunt Ill never forget.

Great job! Congrats! Nice to hear you got to do this with your dad.

Nice Bull, great job with the follow up's. Never hurts to put a few more in there if think he's not done.

What area in nevada?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts