need your opinion on 270 cal.

pressman

i have a 270 with a 26" sheilan barrel and it has been reworked by a good gunsmith. i have never really shot at deer past 500 yards. the shot i did take dropped the mule deer dead in his tracks. does any one have an opinion on the true capabilities of this gun. ( not the shooter)

running the numbers on JBM....

Accurate Powder lists a load for a 150gr sierra sbt @ 3000 ft/sec... if you could get that velocity out of a 150gr sst which has a .525 bc. you'd have:

At sea level - 1000 foot pounds of energy at 750 yards
At 5000 ft. elevation - 1000 foot pounds of energy at 900 yards
At 7000 ft. elevation - 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards
At 10000ft. elevation - 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1100 yards

In my opinion 1000 foot pounds is a conservative general minimum for shooting deer. It defiantly can be done with less. I think the 3000 ft/sec. data was from a 24" barrel. You might be able to get higher than that with your 26" barrel.

Here's a link to the ballistics calculator I used. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Basic)

I have a 270 Win that shoot's 140s at 3200. Its good for hitting where you aim beyond 800 yards.

Plenty of umph and accuracy for good sized deer to that distance.

I recommend using CCI 200 primers. Haven't tried any others besides the CCI 250s. Group size shrunk in a major fashion with the 200s.

Interesting muzzle velocities. Much faster than what I am getting out of my Tikka T3 Lite 22 inch barrel.
My T3 must have a tighter bore is all I can figure. I am only getting 2950 fps with a Sierra 130gr SPBT. using 59.3 grs of H4831.
I tried to work up to the traditional 60.0grs of H4831, and I was getting a sticky bolt lift, the ejector pic recess hole was indented on the case heads and the primers were cratered around the firing pin impact and flattened out around the rim of the primmer hole in the brass.
I figured at 2950 fps I was getting bug hole 4 shot groups at 100 meters, so I accepted that as a load and never looked back.
Good Luck,
Don

Chopaka81,

Chalk that up to a big difference in rifle specs. Like you said tighter bore maybe different chamber, etc.....

When I started w/the old girl back in 1966 I stuck it full of 4831 (60 grains - compressed load) O'Connor and Speer said 3100 FPS.

It shot 2/4" and I shot a lot of deer with with that load.

Then I bought on of the first Oehler chrono's. Velocity was comparable to yours. Being a velocity hog I switched to N205 which would push it right at 3190 in the summer.

N205 went away and I had to switch to 4350 to get the same velocity. Pressures were very high but not 'real' sticky.

Then along comes RL-22 (same as but fewer quality controls than Norma205 or MRP, I think)

Now I have the best of both worlds. Decent pressure, good accuracy, long case life. However, it is a bit temperature sensitive.

+ its a 27" barrel.

Roy,
RE: tempeture sensitivity - I have heard that about RL-22. A very respected riglesmith here in W.Wa who actively builds benchrest rifles had alot to say about ALL ball powders being temperature sensitive.
Funny you mentioned 4350, in my Rem M700 BDL I used to use 55.9g of that powder. It did the job just fine.
When I bought the T3, I tried that load once and had flattened primers and sticky bolt lift. Note that I said once, as in only 1 round. It was a lesson I learned and have never forgotten. :eek:

So guys, taking a buddies load and running with it is indeed very risky.
I got lucky, you may not.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.