Need tripod advice

Bullmark

I should have posted this before making a purchase...but I often get ahead of myself.
Im looking for a tripod and head that will be used mainly out of a ground or tower blind. It may go on an occasional walking hunt but mainly used from a seated position. My shots would likely never be beyond 400-500yds, with most around 200. My two rifles that would be used for this are both typical bolt action hunting rifles....a .280ai that weighs 11lbs with the glass, and 6.5prc thats lighter at 8.25-8.5lbs scoped.
I got sold on the idea of using an arca rail and attaching to either a ball head or leveling base. It certainly looks rock solid. I also already own a "TriClawps" saddle, which looks to be a poor man's Hog Saddle.
I did a bit of research and suddenly a deal popped up on eBay. A Feisol carbon 3441s tripod, with their 40-D ball head. It's their light weight traveling tripod. Perfect condition, lightweight, and plenty tall for my needs. The price was quite a bit less than buying the tripod alone new....plus the head. And the head is $170-180 new. So I bought it. Haven't gotten it yet.
My question is does anyone run these legs or the head??
For my rifles and their weight it seems like a mid size head would work......and the legs look to be thick and sturdy.
Anyway, Feisol stuff has gotten good reviews. To me it looks like RRS is the top player in this space, with all others competing for second place.
Any advice, reviews or input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Most of the tripod I see people shooting off of have at least the 34mm diameter leg section. If weight was not concern there are a few with 40mm legs, but those get heavy. The other thing is typically the center column is good for glassing, but makes a rifle less sturdy. The closer you can get your rifle to the apex of the tripod, the more solid it will feel.

Most of the tripod I see people shooting off of have at least the 34mm diameter leg section. If weight was not concern there are a few with 40mm legs, but those get heavy. The other thing is typically the center column is good for glassing, but makes a rifle less sturdy. The closer you can get your rifle to the apex of the tripod, the more solid it will feel.
All the guys I talked to were basing things off standing shots. In my blinds the max height I'd need is 38-40". I can get there with the compact tripod without needing over half of the extension or a center column protruding 8" from the apex.
If I was standing and needed to use the innermost sections I'd probably want to buy the beefiest I could find. I'll give this Feisol a try. It's center is 40mm and looks solid extended to 40". I just hope the ball head is big enough to handle an 11lb rifle....it's rated max is 22lbs, but u know how that goes. I'll certainly report back, will take it out and shoot off it as soon as it arrives.

Well some manufacturers rate their gear as it's rate to 22lbs before destruction and some rate it to be stable with 22lbs. The weight rating also doesn't really apply when you put a 2ft lever on top.

Only way to really know is to try it.

Well some manufacturers rate their gear as it's rate to 22lbs before destruction and some rate it to be stable with 22lbs. The weight rating also doesn't really apply when you put a 2ft lever on top.

Only way to really know is to try it.
Very true....until you've put something into use you never know if it will work for u. the deal was too good to pass up and I'm hoping since I'll only have it extended a little over half of its capacity that it will work out ok. It has to be more steady than what I'm working with now.....which is basically whatever I can find in the moment to brace the rifle against.

Very true....until you've put something into use you never know if it will work for u. the deal was too good to pass up and I'm hoping since I'll only have it extended a little over half of its capacity that it will work out ok. It has to be more steady than what I'm working with now.....which is basically whatever I can find in the moment to brace the rifle against.
If that's your expectation, I imagine it's gotta be better that a shooting stick. I'm going down a similar journey. I found one of leofoto's ranger tripods with the leveling base on top, and I'm going to adapt an arca/picatinny panning clamp to the top. Should be light enough I actually take it with me which was my last problem.
fbt_asfpl_arca_swiss_picatinny_lever_clamp_with_pan_axis_a.jpg
images.jpeg

If that's your expectation, I imagine it's gotta be better that a shooting stick. I'm going down a similar journey. I found one of leofoto's ranger tripods with the leveling base on top, and I'm going to adapt an arca/picatinny panning clamp to the top. Should be light enough I actually take it with me which was my last problem. View attachment 256675View attachment 256676
The leveling base is supposed to be more rock solid....and I think they still allow for some vertical movement. I hear u on the the ability to carry.....I already have enough gear to lug around, so a tripod needs to be light and mobile. If the ball head that is with my tripod doesn't work well, I'll likely go to a leveling base. I don't shoot drastic angles so the vertical limits are a non issue.
Can u buy the one you posted by itself ? I'm sure u could run it with an arca. It keeps the rifle close to the tripod which should be super sturdy.

The leveling base is supposed to be more rock solid....and I think they still allow for some vertical movement. I hear u on the the ability to carry.....I already have enough gear to lug around, so a tripod needs to be light and mobile. If the ball head that is with my tripod doesn't work well, I'll likely go to a leveling base. I don't shoot drastic angles so the vertical limits are a non issue.
Can u buy the one you posted by itself ? I'm sure u could run it with an arca. It keeps the rifle close to the tripod which should be super sturdy.
Yeah you can buy just the tripod. I found it on eBay for a little over $300 with tax. It got to my door from china in 5 days.

I could have just slapped an Arca clamp on it and be done, but for using my spotting scope or binos, I wanted the ability to pan. That and the added ability to clamp on picatinny rail was sure a bonus. It won't work out of the box since that clamp isn't designed to sit on top of a leveling base so I've got to machine a mating part.

Sweet....lemme get mine in and see how it works with the ball head. If it doesn't stack up I may be in the market for a base.

The ability to pan is overrated.
if you have crappy glass then I could see needing to pan. The better glass is useable all the way to the edge, so you can use your optic's FOV. Move your FOV, scan everything then move and lock again.

The ability to pan is overrated.
if you have crappy glass then I could see needing to pan. The better glass is useable all the way to the edge, so you can use your optic's FOV. Move your FOV, scan everything then move and lock again.
I tend to agree....that's why I buy the best glass I can afford. And I don't buy until I can afford the best glass. It's also probably why I don't own many rifles....but the ones I have are topped with some sweet scopes....my old eyes need all the help available.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts