Need input..it's alot of money

The Luepold V3 6.5-20X 50 mm LR is a very good scope capable of performing in all conditions I have encountered. It will not transmit as much light as a 56 mm NF but it will transmit enough for me. It has enough clarity and resolution for antelope out to 1500 yards. While the last two scopes I bought were NFs I could do anything with the V3 that I need to do. You should understand that I normally have a spotting scope or binoculars handy so I am not using the rifle scope for spotting.

So, if you have children and a family to care for and need to take care of the proper priorites then you should really look at the V3 as a good decent scope at a reasonable price.

Well, Nightforce certainly has all the bells and wistles. But, I'm still not convinced you NEED one for a big game hunting scope. I'm not a big game afficianado. But hopefully that will be changing, with future opprotunities.

When your hunting big game at long range. Does the slightly better resolution help you see the deer better, possibly determining antler size better than Leupolds glass?

I can see buying a Nightforce target scope. Because they offer higher magnification range than any current variable power target scope, the 12-42x56.

I could even see buying one for long range varmints, just because of this extra magnification.

But, alot of you guys just get the 15x or 22x. Which, there are alot of good scopes out there in that magnifcation range.

The extra elevation is nice, but Leupold LR series has alot too.

Wouldn't spending the extra $500, on bullets, powder and brass be a better investment? After all you need, all the practice you can get.

I'm not trying to stir it up here, its just I can't justify to myself buying one for hunting. If I had more money, maybe I could. :)

Wouldn't spending the extra $500, on bullets, powder and brass be a better investment? After all you need, all the practice you can get.

$500 of ammo wont help any if your scope is broke
trust me i have spent a lot of time trying to make a rifle shoot
and come to findout that the scope was no good this has happend to me 4 times:mad: buy the best you can get!

So, what your saying is the extra durability is why you pay the extra 5-700 dollars.

This is internal mechanism durability I am assuming. Better tracking? Repeatablity?

How much stronger is the Nightforce NXS over any other less expernisve option. Were not talking Bushnell Banner series.

i have 3 mark 4's i received my first nightforce yesterday, i ordered from BJ. there is no comparison i am going to sell my leupolds and switch over to nightforces you will be happy that you waited. in my case i didnt know about nightforce when i bought mine and now its going to cost me alot of money to switch over.

quote How much stronger is the Nightforce NXS over any other less expernisve option. Were not talking Bushnell Banner series.

i heard that NF did a test where they mounted a NF on a rifle and zeroed it then they pulled it off the rifle and clamped a leupold mark 4 it a vice and useing the NF like a hammer they beat the mark 4 in to peaces!
then they mounted the NF on the rifle again and it shot at the same point of impact! now that is a wast of a good scope but i think it makes a good point gun)

Nightforce are pretty rugged scopes with decent optics, but not really the best glass. Leupold has decent glass but not the best glass either. Personally, if I were looking in that price range I would step up to a USO with better glass and a better scope for not much more money.

That being said, for hunting purposes, a smaller, lighter scope has some benefits, there is great value in the Bushnell 4200 series...they are rugged, great glass, great turrets and Rainguard coatings. There isn't much that can't be done with them. They are very good glass for the money, to the point that it's hard to justify spending more for most purposes.

They are coming out with the 6500, that are even more capable, but there is no word on the street pricing of these yet.

TC

Yes, in my opinion the ruggedness of the scope and the adjustments are worth the extra cash. I hate to miss stuff period. At least when you have some of the best pieces of equipment you dont have anything other than your self to blame for a miss.

So when the bull of a lifetime comes bouncing into the scope, it then shows if you are ready not if your equipment is.

I have both and I actually prefer the mark 4. Let the flaming begin! My mark 4 is as clear as I have ever seen. I also don't like the super fine reticles that nightforce has but hey that's just me. I can't ever see durability becoming a issue with the mark 4 or the nightforce. If I was to upgrade I would put the S&B way over the nightforce. But there not even close to the same price range. The military has been using mark 4's for decades and they have no issues shooting long distances with underpowered rifles so You'd think they'd be half good for hunting

it was said a little earlier here go with the Leupold, they are clearer and wont give up on you when you need it most.

ok i just read another post and a guy had 4 NF and all have gone bad on him! bad luck i think. i would still buy one like i said NF and leupold are both good scopes i just hate scopes that brake. and both my ziess and my leupold have broke. the only scope that hasnt broke on me is a bushnell banner. weird:( and i have had 2 of them and had them longer then any other scope i have owned.

IF money is no object go with S&B they use swarovski glass and there simply isn't anything brighter or clearer. If your on a budget get the mark 4 you won't be dissapointed. Thing is everthing CAN BREAK and nothing is forever. Eventually your pride and joy nightforce is gonna give up the ghost. Might be tomorrow might be in 50 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.