Need input..it's alot of money

I was looking at the VX-L the one with the curved objective, to sit lower on gun.. Anybody got any comments on this scope.

NF are top tier scopes with many extras, their 56 series glass is usually as good as any, including the Euros. The cons are their weight and small fov( about same as Leupold) as compared to say a Schmidt ot Zeiss. The latter for me usually make better hunting scopes for these reasons. The MK4s I have, as far as hunting scopes go aren't much different from a NF in the field. Both will make you a good scope. All in all if the weight doesn't bother you, you will never regret the NF. Its the only scope I have ever bought where I felt I actually got my moneys worth.

What are the facts? In order for me to better understand the price difference, and to be a smart shopper, I did a online comparison.

I have chose to compare the Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50LRM1 to the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 riflescopes.

Price difference, the Nightforce is $418.01 dollars more than the Leupold (Optics Planet).

Right off, I chose this Mark4 Non-illuminated. Just by choosing the non-illuminated model of Mk4, I saved $180. Now, I don't know if this Illuminated reticle can be of much use to big game hunters. If you have used this feature while hunting, please explain your use.

What I wanted to know is what am I getting for $418 dollars besides a warm fuzzy feeling.

What I got out of it was, The Nightforce has 30 more M.O.A. of elevation than the Leupold. But has 60 M.O.A of windage total. I don't know what the Leupold has for windage.

Reticles. On the Leupold you can have any reticle you want, as long as its a Mil-Dot. (May be able to chage with custom shop if desired).

Nightforce, I counted 10 reticle choices on Optics planet to choose from.

Weight. The Mark 4=22 oz
The NF=31

F.O.V NF=4.7 , MK4=5.5 at 100 yards.

I have heard many times that NF has slightly better resolution that Leupold, but have nothing to go buy. Then I've heard the exact opposite.

Ruggedness, toughness. Both have a reputation for durability..NF in combat, and Leupold, too. gun)

So what I have concluded is that I'm paying $418 for a choice in laser etched reticle, 2x , Illumination, 30 M.O.A. more elevation and slightly better resolution (or not). Oh, and I almost forgot..This is a big one for alot of you guys..It looks cooler. ;)

Please correct me where I am wrong. (I know I am somewhere).

Last edited:
The ilum. is important in near dark hunting. If you can't see the reticle you can't kill something. opticspanet is great but you can get mark 4's with illum. for cheaper on snipercentral and ebay. Do you have a sportsman's warehouse near you they usually carry both so you can take a look. The extra elevation is nice but I can shoot to 1200 yards with my mark 4 with a 7rm with a standard moa base. Most guys buy canted bases anyways so adjustment really is not and issue unless you plan on mounting it on a 45-70.

Your absolutley right about internal adjustment ranges. I can get past 1200 yards with a standard 100 grain boattail in my 25-06, without sloped bases with my 8.5-25x50 VX-III. That is twice as far than I am comfortable shooting at a deer with that gun. Rocks on the other hand....

From what I've seen on here alot of yall shoot with a Nightforce. I was kinda set on the leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56. 900-1000$ But I have recently taken an intrest in these Nightforce scope. A local dealer just started carrying them. But he said he didn't know anything about them. Are these Nightforce scopes 500-600$ better than the leupold. It'll take me 7-8 months to save up for them, so I don't want to buy one and then wish I wouldn't have. What's the diffence. I need a scope that meets all the long range critia and also gathers alot of light for late shooting..
I was going to buy a NF until I researched in great detail what all of my choices were at that price range. The choice became crystal clear. I went with the US Optics SN3 3.2X17. A bit more expensive than then NF but well worth it.

Shecky

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.