Need Help!!!!!

Airborne

I want to set up a gun that is not too heavy but used for hunting. Long Range out to 1,000. I want to go to the range, shoot metal targets out to 1,000 but be able to shoot deer, black bear or elk at long range. That range being 500-600 at deer and out to 400 on elk. I am even more confused at the last thread between the 300wsm and the 300win mag. I know the 300 win mag will shoot the heavier bullets better and longer so I think it edges out the 300wsm for my intended purpose. Anyway, I own a 30.06 and friends are telling me to make it a .280AI. What are your thoughts on these calibers. Will be buying something this week.

TIA!
confused.gif

Airborne,

My 2 cents would be get the 300 win.I have been shooting one for about 15 years now and actually have two of them now,I have taken critters with it from 15 feet-700 yds this being everything from deer to bear. The 300 win is easy to find rounds for and easy to re-load and not to bad on the shoulder either.

I also like the 300 Rum but carry my 300 Win alot more,I havent killed anything with my 300 Rum that I could not have used my 300 winchester on. If I had to pick one cartridge to do it all it would be the 300 win. I shoot a Sendero in the 300 Rum but find its a little heavy for long packing trips so I try to stay withen the 7-9 pound range with scope and all if I am looking at a comfortable packing gun.
Good Luck!

Oregonhunter

I'm sold on this new 300 WM Sendero that I just got. I shot a 4 shot .70 group at 100 meters the other day. I also have a Rem VS700 308 that weighs the same as the Sendero. I carry it all day and I'm only 165 pounds.

My 2 cents.

I am going to confuse you even more. Any of the calibers- 300 WSM, the 300 Win Mag or the 280 AI will do what you want.
But guess what- so will that 30-06. Don't have to have the latest whiz bang magnum to play this game.
There was a good article in the American Hunter about this topic.
Practice with the good old 06 until you need more, in the meantime spend your money on ammo.
wink.gif

..Howdy-do and AMEN, sir..!! Mr Matthews is preachin' the gospel, my free-floating friend.. Unless you're like me and just enjoy the horse-tradin', that '06 oughtta do what ya want..
.. OTOH.. Yer pals are in good company recommending the .280AI.. Steve Timm is a long-time proponent of this as a great all-around cartridge.. And Mr Max Rappel is in the VHA 1K club with it shooting PD's, not deer.!
.. On the 300Win front when I was first checking into all this insanity I was told by several well established 1K competitors that the easiest and quickest route from A to B in this game was the .300Win in a properly done rifle..
..Food for thought.. If ya figure it all out, please let me know.. d:^) JiNC

Jake!
You are preaching all them calibers and forgetting the BEST little killer on the planet. How you doing with that Savage? Just because I nooked your thread I hope you haven't quit shooting it
wink.gif

I'v shot more elk with a 30 cal than a 7mm and will mainly comment on th 30 cal. I think the 280AI or 7mag are great case and know they have taken alot of game but when you want better engery for those 500/600yd shots go with a 30 cal. Our here in Co we have combination seasons on elk and deer. So I either use a 180 or 165 gr bullet and try for a load that gets over 3000fps. I've got a 30-378. I've said this more than once I'd just as soon be over gunned as under and if I'd see a large bull say 700 yds out I want to be able to kill him and not have an animal walking around wounded or worrying about if I have enought rifle. I've got a 30-338,300winmag plus 300wby and working up some loads for a custom 300wsm and may use that this year. I've used nothing heavier than a 180gr bullet and most of my rifles are about 9.5/10.25 lbs and that about it for an 62 yr old guy to pack in the back country. Now as to the 1000 yd stuff get a different rifle, I use a 6.5/284. If they don't get a better handle on this CWD you may not have elk and deer hunting in this state before long we are paying the price now for all those game ranchs where so called sportman shot trophy bull elk(farm raised) for a fee. Two guy standing on differnt mountains looking at the same valley see thing different. Just keep that in mind. Good Luck!

.. Hey Ian.. Nope, I haven't quit shooting it.. But I have been distracted by another project.. And I really dunno about the .308 to 1K so I thought I'd refrain from comment on it.. As a matter of fact I was just now out doin a last check before I took off to LDC for a coupla days with the new toy..
.. Hopefully when I come back I'll have good news and some pics.. Later.. d:^) JiNC

I hear you. I was checking the energy at 400yds in my reloading manual that's all that it gives and according to the book, the 280 AI has more energy than the 30.06. Trying to remember I think it was 1217lbs for the 280AI and 859lbs for the 30.06. Am I missing something?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.