Need help with 220 swift load data

Vettez06

I traded up a 220 swift I have some 75grain amaxs but I can't find any load data for the 75's ... The only powder I have is blc 2, varget , imr 4895 and h414

Unless you have a fast twist barrel you will likely not be able to get the 75 grain pill to shoot accurately.
If you have a 9" or faster twist check the hodgdon site for their 70 grain data and walk her up slow starting just below their start loads. Take your time and you'll be fine if you stay to mid load or so for the 70's when using a 75.

I traded up a 220 swift I have some 75grain amaxs but I can't find any load data for the 75's ... The only powder I have is blc 2, varget , imr 4895 and h414

Hello Vettez06 ,

I have a .220 Swift with a 1:8" twist barrel , 26" .
I contacted Hornady about load info for 75gr. and 80gr. A-Max bullets , speaking to Doug Derner of Hornady . He suggested that I try load info from Hornady's loading manual for a .22-250 Rem. The manual lists the 75gr. A-max , with load info for IMR 4895 , and H-414 powders , along with several others . Mr. Derner suggested that I use the MAXIMUM loading of .22-250 as a starting point for the .220 Swift , due to the larger case capacity of the Swift .

Send a PM to me with your E-mail address and I will forward to you the information that Doug Derner sent to me.
I use the 80gr. A-Max , and it shoots really well out to 1200 yards . I have not tried it at any longer distances , YET .
I don't know if the 1:9" twist in your rifle will stabilize the 75 A-Max .

Good Luck ,
DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.