Need help for Wyoming late season white tail hunt please!! Johnson county

codyadams

I live in south west Wyoming and wasn't able to fill my deer tag this year due to being very busy buying a house and moving, but I really need some meat to put on the table, as I didn't get an elk either, and in areas 29, 30 and 33 the general antlerless whitetail season is open till December 15th. I live 5 and a half hours away from there...

I have never been to that part of Wyoming, so can anyone tell me if it's worth my time trying to get a whitetail doe in that area?? Is it hard to find public land, or get permission on private?? I just want meat for my family. If anyone can help I would very grateful!!

Thanks if advance if anyone can give some advice!!

I drove through there about a month ago and there were lots of whitetails in the hay fields. I know the Bud Love public hunting area is just west of I-90, but it gets hit pretty hard during the season. I'd suggest calling the Chamber of Commerce in Buffalo and see if they know of any private landowners who allow access. If you could hunt in Sheridan County, I could help you out a bit more. Good Luck.

We were in 16 and 22 Antelope areas during the 2nd week of October. At that time, we saw more deer south of I-90 than north, i.e. more in area 22 than area 16. I had thought of getting a whitetail doe tag but we had enough problems finding antelope on public land. Deer north of I-90 seemed to all be mule deer.

Eastman's may have more info as noted above.

If you need the meat, why not buy chicken or pork on sale. For the amount you'll spend on gas, a tag, etc., you can buy three - four times as much meat from the store as you'll get off a whitetail doe. Now if you want to change your story and say yer just wanting to go hunting, you get a pass...

If you need the meat, why not buy chicken or pork on sale. For the amount you'll spend on gas, a tag, etc., you can buy three - four times as much meat from the store as you'll get off a whitetail doe. Now if you want to change your story and say yer just wanting to go hunting, you get a pass...

How about I don't like store bought meat and like to know what goes into my family? Ha ha my family raises our own beef and pork as well, I actually have a pork I'm getting this spring but I won't have the meat till next fall. And we're not butchering another steer till the spring. We don't have a bunch of cattle, we have 3 miniature bulls and 5 miniature heifers, and 2 normal heifers that we get bred sometimes. We sell most of them and butcher what we need, but I didn't end up with one this year as I let my SGT. buy the bull calf I was planning on cutting and butchering. I do also love to hunt and want to fill my tag, but I would much rather get wild game that has been munching in some farmers field it's whole life than store bought meat. Just a personal preference ha ha

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.