Need help for Alsaka hunt

jj338

Hello, I am going on a Caribou rifle hunt in early sept, i have never hunted alaska and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and where some good places to start where. We are flying into fairbanks and would like to stay somewhat close to that area. also if you guys know a place to stay and a place that rents out equment such as a boat it would be very nice
Thanks

I moved here to Idaho from Fairbanks.
Hunted caribou many times there, but the hunts close to Fbks are controlled use (40 mile herd) and usually meets the quota fairly quickly, usually not long after season opener (Aug 10th.)

You might want to consider a bush plane to get to other areas outside of the controlled use area etc.
Try Rick Gold, he's a great pilot and could get you on bou--upper Sacha River, Upper Good pastor etc.
Also, if you are in shape the Haul road has incredible bou hunting, but you need to bow hunt them by the road, or hike in 5 miles to use a rifle. You'd need to reant a vehicle for that action.
Wife and I did this 5 mile hike in hunt for kicks in '05. It was tough but memorable. About 13 miles total.
Left a helluva rack out there on the Tundra. We were hauling all of our gear and meat from a trophy bull in one trip.
Can't eat antlers...have a house full anyway.

Attachments

• reneebou05.jpg
    reneebou05.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hello, I am going on a Caribou rifle hunt in early Sept, i have never hunted Alaska and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and where some good places to start where. We are flying into Fairbanks and would like to stay somewhat close to that area. also if you guys know a place to stay and a place that rents out equipment such as a boat it would be very nice
Thanks

I don't know much about the Fairbanks area. Never lived or hunted up there. I'm a full days drive south of Fairbanks. But I'm sure there's some good Caribou hunting to be accessed from Fairbanks. broomd gave you the name of an air taxi service, and if it's a decent outfit, they should be able to fly you out to where you'll see some Caribou. We don't have too many Alaska Forum members, but perhaps someone else will read your Thread and provide another good air taxi service, or other helpful information.

Don't let anyone tell you Caribou meat isn't any good. If you shoot a bull before he's rutting and handle the meat properly, you'll have some good eating, on top of the biggest 'whitetail rack' you've ever seen! gun)

lightbulbI might suggest flying north from Fairbanks on a regular commercial passenger air carrier to a village that has a drop-off air service advertised in most hunting publications. Forget the boat rental; the best you could do on a river is a float trip off the North Slope. It's be a great hunt, but $$$$$$$. I depend on moose and caribou for my daily meat and I can tell you that, as phorwath stated, there's none finer--and healthy too. I'm reluctant to give out names here as, well, it could be trouble and I manage to get in my share accidentally... You could email me if you wanted. In any event happy hunting.

i have hunted a few times up north just out from pump station 2 on the haul road.
off the road would be bow only then you need to be past that 5 mile mark for rifle .
cpl ways to do that is walk [ very hard to do ] float trip or boat. i always bring 1 of my jet boats so that is how i do it. there was a guide working the river there last time i was there. if you drive up there i hear he will take you up river and drop you off for a hunt. not sure of his fee for this but it is a good way up the river if you do not have or can not rent a boat. this is the outfitter i think but not 100% sure
www.airboatfishing.com/index.htm

if you head up there for 2012 let us know . we head head around last week of aug to 1st week sep. they will be some in velvet and some already coming out of velvet
i have taken them both ways and also some with the velvet just hanging in strings

Attachments

• DSCN0393.JPG
    DSCN0393.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.