Need advise 6.5 creemoor h4350

Bergara B14 HMR 6.5 CM
147gr eld M
Lapua brass
H4350
I've spent about 200 rnds doing a load work up and found the gun shoots better at the hot end of the spectrum. I found the best group at 41gr which is below the recommended maximum load. I loaded 100 at this powder charge and then was noticing I was getting pretty bad pressure signs. Not sure why one time it was fine then the next I was getting heavy bolt lift and severe extractor marks. So I pulled all of those bullets and backed the load back .1g to 40.9 gr and am getting spread out groups now.

My question is should I tryto do another load ladder because something definitely has changed. I bought this gun new so maybe the barrel took a bit to break in amd get seasoned or should I try a slower burning powder to push the heavier bullet more consistently. I make sure all of my screws are torqued to proper specs before every shoot.
I would try a new batch of H4350, or StaBall or H4831........................Too few rds for ring..

I found the best group at 41gr which is below the recommended maximum load.
I shoot the 143 at 42.2 and while its not at pressure its getting there when hot out. I could see it possible you be at pressure early in some chambers at 41. Maby try 143 or 140s? I shoot my 143s at 1400yards accurately but hunt up to 600 with them.

Also couldnt believe the gunk i pulled out of a new factory barrel couple weeks ago. Looked like they proofed the barrel with blackpowder.

I have a two 6.5's. I run both of them (Sig SSG 3000 and MT Rifle Co X3 with H4350 41 grains. Both of them are just a little longer than SAMI for COAL. 2.800 if I run them longer I get pressure signs as you described much more so with the Sig which runs a Benchmark barrel. But here is my last group with the Sig. So I run them this way. Might not be the best advice. So sharing what I'd do. The top group is 5 shots at 2.800. Hope this helps.
How much of a jump?

I put a question to Berger on their website. About an hour later, I received a phone call from one of their customer service people. He provided quite a tutorial to me re/ Berger's experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The essence of the call boiled down to their recommendation to try the 130 gr hybrid tactical and the the 135 gr classic hunter over H4350. My Howa 1500 likes the 135 gr Classic Hunter with 43.0 gr of H4350 w/ a CCI 200 primer seated at SAMI COAL of 2.800. I like VLD's seated off the lands about 0.0010 to 0.0020, but the Howa magazine is too short. The Classic Hunters 3 shot 100 yard group is 0.270 in this rifle. I had loaded 0.5 gr increments starting at 41 gr. The lower charges had + 1" groups, but tightened up remarkably as I approached the 43 gr load. I full length resize and bump shoulder back 0.002. No problems here......

41 grains with 147 should not give you a problem. The factory-recommended OAL is 2.800". Try shooting 2.800 and working up.

Give RL-26 a try, it's a slower burning powder and I get great results with it in my Howa 1500 6.5CM 26" Bull barrel, 1 and 8 Twist, Zero Delta muzzle break, Weaver T-Series XR 36X40 S/F
Lapua Brass- RL-26 47.7gn, 3033 fps Sierra 142gn HPBT, OAL To Ogive 2.255, CCI 450 primers, 0.025 MOA
I'm sitting about 30 thou off the lands and that holds true even for the 120gn Sierra game kings that I shoot in this rifle
also, which is hole in hole @ 100yds. But I am using RL-16 for that bullet.
RL-26 also works great with Horndy Brass in accuracy for the CreedMoor,,,,, but you will be loosing primers at around
shot 5 or 6 and that's with annealing after every shot. This is what works in My Howa 1500 6.5CM and may not work in yours,,, just my 2 cents.

...Too few rds for ring..
No sir I've seen rings start at 50 rounds depending on the powder, if you borescope your chamber alot you will see it. I scope my barrel and chamber area everytime I clean mine. The more you shoot it with the ring starting the harder it is to get out it gets baked in there.

Also couldnt believe the gunk i pulled out of a new factory barrel couple weeks ago. Looked like they proofed the barrel with blackpowder.

I experienced this with my (wife's) bergara...was having trouble with it, somebody suggesting cleaning which infant considered since it had never been fired, but I was amazed at all the cosmoline I pulled out of that thing. Ended up not being my problem, factory chambered out of spec, but learning experience nonetheless.
Now I have a teslong borescope and check all my rifles every time I clean, and like l.sherm I've seen the carbon ring creeping up way earlier than I had expected.

I experienced this with my (wife's) bergara...was having trouble with it, somebody suggesting cleaning which infant considered since it had never been fired, but I was amazed at all the cosmoline I pulled out of that thing. Ended up not being my problem, factory chambered out of spec, but learning experience nonetheless.
Now I have a teslong borescope and check all my rifles every time I clean, and like l.sherm I've seen the carbon ring creeping up way earlier than I had expected.
Yea...its a good reminder. Anything could be in a bore. I just ordered another bore snake. I dont thing they do much for cleaning but could remove a spider or loose debris. Also add oil to the bore when camping in the rain season. Im grabbing a bore scope as well. Been on the list a long time.

So an update. Inspected the barrel and it did seem to be a carbon ring. Not sure if this was causing the issue but we'll see. I scrubbed the crap out of it. Also there was a mention about the shoulder bump back and brass spring back. That got me thinking. I checked the shoulder measurement and some did spring back more than others. I took your advise and held all of the brass at the bottom of the stroke for a consistent 3 seconds for all of them. Measured them all amd they are all the same now. Bumped back .030. The ones that had resistance were the ones that sprang back the most. They cycle like butter now.

You better have meant .003 not .030. if you meant .003 then they are perfect. Carbon rings suck and it's better to just keep after that sucker every time you clean. If you let it go it will get harder to remove. A patch soaked in carbon remover stuck up in the neck over night helps alot.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.