Need advice on light a light recoiling hunting rifle!

Before I answer that question, I would need to know 2 things. What type of animals are you hunting, and at what distance? That would make a significant difference on my recommendation.

Since you have a real medical condition you need to be sensitive too, I would suggest you look into the old fashioned Mercury Recoil Reducers that they used to mount in the rifles stock. I think a competent Gun smith can remove the recoil pad, drill out the stock to accept this device. If that is done to your favorite 7 -08, you may be able to comfortably continue to shoot one of your old favorite rifles. Could be worth a simple discussion with a gun smith !!

Since you have a real medical condition you need to be sensitive too, I would suggest you look into the old fashioned Mercury Recoil Reducers that they used to mount in the rifles stock. I think a competent Gun smith can remove the recoil pad, drill out the stock to accept this device. If that is done to your favorite 7 -08, you may be able to comfortably continue to shoot one of your old favorite rifles. Could be worth a simple discussion with a gun smith !!

I'll second that. I, too, have a gimpy shoulder from a couple of prior surgeries. I have the same problem on the left shoulder, so I can't just switch to shooting southpaw style. I had a guy install a Dead Mule recoil reducer in my old Mauser 30-06, as well as put on a KickEez recoil pad, and it made a huge difference. The rifle is very comfortable to shoot now. It's also around nine pounds in weight when ready to hunt, which counts for a lot.

Since this rifle is so heavy, I have gotten myself a much lighter 280 Dakota, and had the same guy put a KickEez pad on it. I held off on the Dead Mule, since I got the rifle because it's two pounds lighter to carry. ( The recoil reducer adds several ounces to the weight of the rifle.) He also changed the pitch on the stock, and told me that this alone would make felt recoil more comfortable. The difference was shocking. It's perfectly comfortable for me to shoot now, and this is largely because of having a better stock fit.

I recently had surgery on my neck and I'm going crazy not being able to get out shooting! I have rifles from 6.5 CM up to 416 Rigby but nothing that I feel comfortable trying with my neck situation. My favorite two rifles for Hunting are my 7-08 and my 300wsm but those are out of the question for now. I have thought about possibly getting a 223 with a faster twist to be able to shoot 75-80gr. bullet. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Alan
Tikka T3lite 223 1-8"twist try the Barnes ttsx
very low recoil if any

Depending on what you're hunting, and the amount of money you want to throw at this project. I'd consider reloading the 7-08 with some of the 101 grain Hammer Hunters. I'm reloading these in my buddies 7-08 and I'm shocked how little recoil there is, certainly less then a typical. 243. I'd certainly take any deer sized game or smaller black bear out to 250 yards ( I haven't looked at Ballistics beyond that, as that is the my buddies personal limit as a new hunter)

If that is still too much, throw the barreled action in a Chassis, such as the XLR Element, this will give you options to add weights, a mercury reducer and possibly even a muzzle brake. These additions will limit the 7-08 to extremely low felt recoil.

1 best way too reduce recoil is a light and fast load (light(est) bullet per caliber w/high velocity). OR, a lower density powder charge. Easier too find for short barrels at least that will exit the barrel. QL is your friend, check exit pressure below 15k and/or pressure curve. Understanding the difference between propane and natural gas can give a better overlook.

I hunted aoudad with a 7-30 Waters using 120 gr. Barnes TTSX at 2400 fps. for 4 or 5 years with great success. A light load in your 7mm-08 with a brake, and you should be golden.

Someone suggested to hunt with a 22 LR. Check your local laws first if you can hunt with a 22 LR. Some states it's illegal to hunt with a none center fire rifle.

6.5 Grendel is mild and put that in ar platform and no kick at all. You will spend some money to get it really light but can be done. It has excellent long range ballistics and is far better than a .223 For hunting.
Why not a 6.5 grendel in the howa mini. I have one with the barrel cut down to 16" and fluted very light and zero recoil shooting the 97gr absolute hammers at 3k and have taken tons of hogs, deer, and audad with it.

I've installed the mercury recoil reducers in a lot of rifles, they do take the kick out. But I still love my suppressors, they work better, less noise and less kick and don't have to wear hearing protection!