Thinking about building a light hunting rifle

nksmfamjp

I'm really not sure if this is a go or not….probably not, but fun to think about.

So, I have to consider the factory option which is

in 7mm-08.

Add a SS scope

That is 6lbs and a couple ounces after adding a small muzzle break. That is likely $2300.

…or I could go custom:
titanium action and bottom metal 2lb
who makes super lightweight 1.5lb stocks?
16" 2lb light barrel
same 1.25lb scope

can I get any lighter? Can these be shot well enough or am I better off going factory?

Not many Adirondacks making it out in the wild these days sadly. With the barrett fieldcraft out its another big bummer for the weight weenie rifle guys.

Custom still has its place, especially now that both Adirondack rifles and field crafts go for so much on gunbroker.

A defiance anti x in short action gets you the smallest most scaled down action thats a clone of a model seven. Can go blind mag and one of manners goofy light weight stocks with one of the various featherweight contours available these days and be in the fieldcraft/Adirondack zone.

Upside
Any twist and caliber you want
Premium barrels cut by a true smith is always nice
If you have specific barrel length and lop concerns it's easier to resolve.
Use whatever trigger suits your fancy
Until kimber starts cranking up and shipping guns the secondhand Adirondack/mountain ascent range goes for close to the cost of a full custom.

Downside
Your breaking 3k with a manners uc, it's a lot of money for a hunting rifle.
The aforementioned rifles are scaled down specific to caliber, gives them a weight advantage
Kimner has crf if that is a draw to you
When in production the factory guns are good enough and much cheaper.

As to shootability, they work for most folks at normal hunting ranges. There is a reason most long range rigs skew 10lbs and up, they are much easier to shoot longer range. Even an 8.5 lbd rifle is perceptible easier to get settled in behind than the 6 lbd rifles.

I went the cheap route on my build, kimber hunter in 280AI, Talley rings, Z3-10x42. Comes in a 6lbs 2.4 oz. Definitely harder to shoot a light weight rifle but I am shooting 3/4" groups with hammer hunters. Gun might do better but that's all I can do. I plan on adding the Ti Pro tiny which adds .65 oz. Just need to drop it off at the smith for the barrel threading.
1648604347242.png

Just did a 280 AI on a paradigm stock. They're very light all Carbon fibre. Mine with a Hawkins M5 BDL no spring or follower was 1.5 lbs. stock feels nice but the butt end is hollow which I'm not sure I like. It is rigid with no flex. Haven't shot it yet.

I want to address your scope choice.

I have a lightweight Ruger SA that weighs 7 lb with current scope, chambered in 338 RCM. While not as light as the rifle you plan, it is light and handy to carry on my elk hunts. (see pic below)

I originally purchased a SWFA SS HD 3-9 x 42 for this rifle. As an owner of quite a few SWFAs I thought it would be a great addition to the collection. I was disappointed with it due to the extremely thin crosshair when on 3X. Without illumination it wouldn't work for the elk hunting I intended for it. Perhaps it is my older eyes. I sold it. I also need to mention it is a 30mm and weighs 19 oz.

I ended up with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 green dot. It is a 1" tube is lighter and sits lower on the rifle so the cheek weld with my sporter stock is perfect. It weighs 13.4 oz. Shot my elk this year at 215 yds. Scope worked great.

Your scope choice depends on the intended use for your new rifle. Just thought I would share my experience.

Here is a picture of the rifle when it first was built with a lightweight Leupold. The stock is a McMillan Ruger Ultralight.
1648638339521.jpeg

Kimber is really putting out some very light rifles. I've heard nothing but positive feedback. Custom is a great way to go, but you need to be patient and have deeper pockets. Compromise is difficult sometimes, but building or buying a true purpose built rifle such as an ultimate ultra-lightweight hunting rifle gives you another option when looking in the safe. Go for it, and let us know how it works out.

I'm really not sure if this is a go or not….probably not, but fun to think about.

in 7mm-08.

Add a SS scope

That is 6lbs and a couple ounces after adding a small muzzle break. That is likely $2300.

…or I could go custom:
16" 2lb light barrel
same 1.25lb scope

can I get any lighter? Can these be shot well enough or am I better off going factory?
I have a Kimber 84 Hunter in .30-06 rechambered in .30 Gibbs. It ended up costing me hunt ready $1307 and 7.91 lbs. The scope is heavy (1.33 lbs) and could probably shaved more weight going 1" instead of 30 MM but I am happy with how it end up. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/

Not many Adirondacks making it out in the wild these days sadly. With the barrett fieldcraft out its another big bummer for the weight weenie rifle guys.

Custom still has its place, especially now that both Adirondack rifles and field crafts go for so much on gunbroker.

A defiance anti x in short action gets you the smallest most scaled down action thats a clone of a model seven. Can go blind mag and one of manners goofy light weight stocks with one of the various featherweight contours available these days and be in the fieldcraft/Adirondack zone.

Upside
Any twist and caliber you want
Premium barrels cut by a true smith is always nice
If you have specific barrel length and lop concerns it's easier to resolve.
Use whatever trigger suits your fancy
Until kimber starts cranking up and shipping guns the secondhand Adirondack/mountain ascent range goes for close to the cost of a full custom.

Downside
Your breaking 3k with a manners uc, it's a lot of money for a hunting rifle.
The aforementioned rifles are scaled down specific to caliber, gives them a weight advantage
Kimner has crf if that is a draw to you
When in production the factory guns are good enough and much cheaper.

As to shootability, they work for most folks at normal hunting ranges. There is a reason most long range rigs skew 10lbs and up, they are much easier to shoot longer range. Even an 8.5 lbd rifle is perceptible easier to get settled in behind than the 6 lbd rifles.

I'm kinda surprised with the prevalence of the kimber hunters the aftermarket support has not really caught up. Near as I can tell kimber has shipped some mountain ascent rifles, a couple heavy taper options and a pile of kimber hunters. If an aftermarket mag box was available, I think the hunter in conjunction with an mpi stock would provide an awesome option for a middle of the road ultralight.

in 7mm-08.

Add a SS scope

…or I could go custom:
16" 2lb light barrel
same 1.25lb scope

Having been down this road, definitely go factory (or even used, factory) to test the ultralight concept for yourself before committing to a custom.

My recommendation would be to find a used Adirondack in .308, get a feel for it, and then rebarrel to 7-08 - possibly with a slightly heavier contour barrel. Those kimber barrels are noodles - great to pack, but I found difficulty shooting accurately, especially under physical/environmental stress.

Getting some more mass forward, and approaching (or exceeding) 7lbs I found to positively effect my confidence. It's hard to drive a rifle that feels like it wants to float away!

Holistically speaking, NULA's balance a little better, and may be worthy of consideration.

If you are looking to build, MPI makes some light stocks. I have a few Wildcat Composites stocks myself, but I understand they have stopped shipping to the US. The AG Composites 'privateer' might be worth a look.

Seems we've gone full circle over the past 6-7yrs. Then, rifles with heavy barrels in the 12-15lb range (without scope), in A5 style stocks , that looked like they should be in the hands of a military sniper (a real one) , ,, to ultra-lites in the 6-7lb range that are easy to carry.

I still think if your really shooting a long ways the bigguns just under Idaho legal will shoot better. The switch to lighter rifles is accepting the reality of where hunting is going as a whole. It's way easier to shoot a 10.5 pound rifle but way easier to pack a 6 lbd rifle. If long range is the only thing you do, your rifles should probably skew heavier. If long range is only an arrow in the quiver of tools, a lighter weight rifle with a fast twist, some long bullets and a bit hotter caliber will cover your bases.

Keep in mind almost every light weight factory I've seen never comes in at what they say.
Second I would 💯 build a custom I love my light weight.
Absolutely nothing come close to as light as the Pierce titanium action. If building a light weight oz matter so that is you best option.
Also check out the swfa 2-10 it's only 10oz I believe. I have one on a howa mini I lightened and it's a pretty decent little scope for most hunting applications.
Also think about having twisted barrel Marty I believe is his name do the fluting. Guy is well known for his fluting and being able to take weight off thinner barrels others may not want to.
I did Pierce action, ti action screws. Salmon river solutions ti slab brake.
Then I added weight with stuff I wanted and or needed still came in very light. My idea was make it light as possible and add things like thumbhole stock, bipod, and camera to it and still be insanely light. I have one short action and long.

Attachments

• F779189F-9DA3-48BB-B97C-62FB91B1DB24.jpeg
    F779189F-9DA3-48BB-B97C-62FB91B1DB24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85