Need advice on custom build services sequencing, Please

BigDon

I have all the parts now for 2 builds 1 a 25 Sherman, the other. 6.5 Sherman Mag.

Both are on Terminus Kratos long Actions, both with 26" barrels. My sequencing question is this -

After the barrels are fluted, threaded and chambered I'd like the smith to trial fit and test fire the assembly. I want to go with DLC vs Cerakote. Should I have the smith disassemble the assembly and ship me the parts that I will then send off the DLC coater and then have a local smith put the gun back together, or...what?

I've got premium parts, and I'm looking to achieve premium results. I look forward your advice. Thank you. Don.

Not sure where you are at or what smith you prefer, but i would highly recommend Pierce Engineering. They have a good DLC provider they use and they handle all the shipping transfers. They were able to meet a unique request on my end for DLC inside and Elite smoke cerakote outside.
20210225_170115.jpg

Not sure about the whole verses the parts individually that may be answered by your smith and the coater. You would be better off to have smith ship directly to the coater either way unless smith is around the corner. Not sure which state or rules but it might involve another ffl to ship back to you

Let us know how it goes and post up pics of the finished product

Thanks

Buck

Not sure where you are at or what smith you prefer, but i would highly recommend Pierce Engineering. They have a good DLC provider they use and they handle all the shipping transfers. They were able to meet a unique request on my end for DLC inside and Elite smoke cerakote outside. View attachment 256454

What is that set up. Nice looking rifle. What trigger is that

Thanks

Buck

I have all the parts now for 2 builds 1 a 25 Sherman, the other. 6.5 Sherman Mag.

Both are on Terminus Kratos long Actions, both with 26" barrels. My sequencing question is this -

After the barrels are fluted, threaded and chambered I'd like the smith to trial fit and test fire the assembly. I want to go with DLC vs Cerakote. Should I have the smith disassemble the assembly and ship me the parts that I will then send off the DLC coater and then have a local smith put the gun back together, or...what?

I've got premium parts, and I'm looking to achieve premium results. I look forward your advice. Thank you. Don.
ok so I'll give a little advise here.. if you looking for a certain finish one both action (which i assume is already nitrided/DLC) then i would say nitride the barrel after all work is done and DO NOT SHOOT IT before you send it too get nitride coated....it will match the action closest...

secondly if you want a certain color say a bronze or other ... then have the entire barreled action done once the barreled action is fitted, that way it will look absolutely amazing and have a seamless look!!

Last edited:
Its a pierce TI action with a proof barrel. All the work done by pierce and their DLC "sub". Good catch on the trigger. I am not a fan of a R700 top safety as i feel it is dangerous. Just my opinion. So this is a Jewel trigger with bottom safety. One nice thing about a smith that makes their own actions is they milled it without the top safety notch so no extra gap up top. Sounds like you already have great actions though. Pierce can also work with those. But as a side point. Ryan pierce with Piercision Rifles ( different company and no relation) recently started building with Pierce TI actions and has good reports.

One last thing, i am in no way affiliated with pierce engineering, just a happy customer that believes in paying it forward

J

Its a pierce TI action with a proof barrel. All the work done by pierce and their DLC "sub". Good catch on the trigger. I am not a fan of a R700 top safety as i feel it is dangerous. Just my opinion. So this is a Jewel trigger with bottom safety. One nice thing about a smith that makes their own actions is they milled it without the top safety notch so no extra gap up top. Sounds like you already have great actions though. Pierce can also work with those. But as a side point. Ryan pierce with Piercision Rifles ( different company and no relation) recently started building with Pierce TI actions and has good reports.

One last thing, i am in no way affiliated with pierce engineering, just a happy customer that believes in paying it forward

J

Thank you. I'll Give Ryan a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.