Need advice for 2 similar calibers

I'm in a puzzling spot. I own 2 really nice custom rifles. How I chose them is a long story. They are both great all around choices but I'd like to get opinions on how to get a bigger range of uses. I mainly hunt deer but plan on going West or North for other species...elk, Mulies, even Red Stag.
Both rifles are setup, shoot great if I do the job, and I love them both.
#1 is a 280ai, Ag alpine hunter stock, Alamo action, Bartlein 3B 24" barrel,jewell trig, 419brake....load is 57gr H4350 168gr Berger VLD hunter getting 2909 FPS and consistently .4moa. Scope is S & B Exos 3-21x50 and give the glass an A+
Rifle #2 is a 6.5SAUM, Borden action, Manners stock, Hart Sendero barrel, Jewell trig, custom brake....load is 140gr Berger VLD Hunter, 60gr R26 getting 3105fps and shoots tighter than gun #1. I've gotten several .25 and less 3shot groups. it's topped with a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56.....just as clear and bright as the Exos with a bit wider FOV.
So did I screw up and buy two rifles that overlap too much? I don't wanna get rid of either and god knows I can't afford a third.
thanks to all that take the time to reply.

Why complicate it unnecessarily? Pick one and stay with your rifle/load set-up and your limitation and have fun with your hunt. "My" personal choice between the two is #1.

Nothing wrong with similar cartridges or ballistics. When hunting out West, I take two identical rifles (other than stock color). Same make, same model, same cartridge, same optics. One is a backup to the other, but they each get equal trigger time on my range or out hunting. They both shoot handloads the same. No surprises this way.

Try H4831(sc). My .280s love a 59 gr dose with 140 gr Accubonds at 3040. Could get more hp. out of it with the ai.
Not a temperamental load, accurate, and devastating.
OTOH, they love IMR 7828 sc at 58 gr under 160 gr Accubonds for 2925 fps. Both loads are sub 1/2" out of two rifles.
I am supposing that the mighty ai will get some pretty impressive numbers based on this data... if your rifle is fond of the Accubonds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a puzzling spot. I own 2 really nice custom rifles. How I chose them is a long story. They are both great all around choices but I'd like to get opinions on how to get a bigger range of uses. I mainly hunt deer but plan on going West or North for other species...elk, Mulies, even Red Stag.
#1 is a 280ai, Ag alpine hunter stock, Alamo action, Bartlein 3B 24" barrel,jewell trig, 419brake....load is 57gr H4350 168gr Berger VLD hunter getting 2909 FPS and consistently .4moa. Scope is S & B Exos 3-21x50 and give the glass an A+
Rifle #2 is a 6.5SAUM, Borden action, Manners stock, Hart Sendero barrel, Jewell trig, custom brake....load is 140gr Berger VLD Hunter, 60gr R26 getting 3105fps and shoots tighter than gun #1. I've gotten several .25 and less 3shot groups. it's topped with a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56.....just as clear and bright as the Exos with a bit wider FOV.
So did I screw up and buy two rifles that overlap too much? I don't wanna get rid of either and god knows I can't afford a third.
Great caliber choices! You can kill any animal in America with those. Keep them both and if you want to get another gun later, start saving!

Personally I'd take #1 out west with some heavier bullets. 175 or 180 gr will give you a little bump in BC, SD, and likely retained energy and velocity. Can't help with the other cause I certainly wouldn't want to load lighter bullets in it. Either way it's all champagne problems

My 6.5 shoots the 140 berger vlds really well a d also the 143 eld I use it for pigs,sheep and deer ! My 7.mm I use 140 - 175 and shoot deer up to elk & moose with it quite well

a standerd cheap 7mm mag winchester will out shoot all of your custom stuff.. I too shoot the wildcats and the 280 Imp. but the truth you cannot compare with the 7mm mag . why would you need a recoil break on a 280 AI . they are designed to have better headspace and thus less recoil. all ackley imp recoil less because of better headspace and on his magnums you have two headspaces.

I didn't ask an honest question to be chastised for the specs of my rifles. So I'm certainly not going to apologize or justify why I chose anything. I happen to have a young son who is a bit afraid of recoil, so I used a brake....if that's ok with u. Seriously I appreciate all the comments and good advice. And I've gotten some great ideas.
Some people like to go the custom route for collecting and as a hobby....I'm well aware that there are plenty of rifles on the shelf that will shoot lights out. But that isn't what I have and isn't what i was asking an honest question about.

a standerd cheap 7mm mag winchester will out shoot all of your custom stuff.. I too shoot the wildcats and the 280 Imp. but the truth you cannot compare with the 7mm mag . why would you need a recoil break on a 280 AI . they are designed to have better headspace and thus less recoil. all ackley imp recoil less because of better headspace and on his magnums you have two headspaces.
I have a brake on my .204 ruger it's so I can attach a suppressor but if that makes me a sis for having a brake on a cartridge that only runs 25ish grains of powder well..... also please educate me on how a tighter headspace effects recoil.....??? The difference in the go and no-go gauges I run are .002" difference. If you run it too tight then you may have issues from brass sealing the gasses off faster because it doesn't expand properly and seals the chamber too soon and causing excessive pressure but that is what we call unsafe. Bullmark you have two great guns with a lot of great options for bullets both light to heavy for those calibers.

Last edited:

04E33619-6ECA-4565-B495-0E7092C6FBDA.jpeg

I didn't ask an honest question to be chastised for the specs of my rifles. So I'm certainly not going to apologize or justify why I chose anything. I happen to have a young son who is a bit afraid of recoil, so I used a brake....if that's ok with u. Seriously I appreciate all the comments and good advice. And I've gotten some great ideas.
Some people like to go the custom route for collecting and as a hobby....I'm well aware that there are plenty of rifles on the shelf that will shoot lights out. But that isn't what I have and isn't what i was asking an honest question about.

Agreed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.