Need advice for 2 similar calibers

Bullmark

I'm in a puzzling spot. I own 2 really nice custom rifles. How I chose them is a long story. They are both great all around choices but I'd like to get opinions on how to get a bigger range of uses. I mainly hunt deer but plan on going West or North for other species...elk, Mulies, even Red Stag.
Both rifles are setup, shoot great if I do the job, and I love them both.
#1 is a 280ai, Ag alpine hunter stock, Alamo action, Bartlein 3B 24" barrel,jewell trig, 419brake....load is 57gr H4350 168gr Berger VLD hunter getting 2909 FPS and consistently .4moa. Scope is S & B Exos 3-21x50 and give the glass an A+
Rifle #2 is a 6.5SAUM, Borden action, Manners stock, Hart Sendero barrel, Jewell trig, custom brake....load is 140gr Berger VLD Hunter, 60gr R26 getting 3105fps and shoots tighter than gun #1. I've gotten several .25 and less 3shot groups. it's topped with a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56.....just as clear and bright as the Exos with a bit wider FOV.
So did I screw up and buy two rifles that overlap too much? I don't wanna get rid of either and god knows I can't afford a third.
thanks to all that take the time to reply.

Why don't you set them up differently for different purposes? You didn't mention twist rates, however, you could set one up for heavier for caliber bullets and the other up for light for caliber bullets or even a mono. Even though they are similar, you could set them up completely different or for different purposes.

Since the 6.5 shoots "better", maybe set the 280AI up for some 120 gr Ballistic tips or a light mono such as Hammer bullets and push it fast. Or maybe even the opposite of setting it up for 180 grain bullets (if twist allows) as your elk and stag rifle and leave the SAUM for mule deer.

Steve

I like both of those rounds and don't think you screwed up even though they do overlap a little. Bullet selection for both the 6.5 and 7mm are huge and will allow you to cover pretty much anything. Load up some 90 gr. Speer TNT's for the 6.5 and crush varmints, stick with the load you have now for antelope and whitetail. Run the 280 for muley's and elk with your current load or run a heavy bullet or something like the Hammer bullets for tougher game like elk, moose, caribou or blackbear

The .280ai has a 1/8.75 twist. We started with 140s and couldn't get them shoot. Went through several different weights and types and finally got the 168s to shoot .5 MOA consistently....my knowledge of load dev and twist rates is pretty low. I guess we could have tried a different powder....H4350 is the only one we tried. What would u think an optimal load would be for that barrel. ??

I like the Berger 175 Elite hunters a lot for a standard cup and core bullet, they should be stable in your barrel. Check out Bergers Twist/Stability calculator. You could probably go up to the 155 hammers but the 143's should definitely be stable and you will gain some speed. H4350 is a good powder for your cartridge and the bullets you are running but H4831SC would be another powder worth a look

Both good cartridges... i had the same actually recently.

My 6.5 saum shot the 156 bergers amazingly... it was a Stiller w/ Bartlein. Other one a trued rem with a douglas barrel on the 280 AI, shot the 160 Federal Trophy Bonded really well. Sold the 280 AI to build a 300 PRC to get more "separation" of grain weights. However, having said that, my 280 AI was definitely not underpowered for elk hunting.

I think having both won't hurt... if you decide there's too much overlap, sell one and build another!

Both good cartridges... i had the same actually recently.

My 6.5 saum shot the 156 bergers amazingly... it was a Stiller w/ Bartlein. Other one a trued rem with a douglas barrel on the 280 AI, shot the 160 Federal Trophy Bonded really well. Sold the 280 AI to build a 300 PRC to get more "separation" of grain weights. However, having said that, my 280 AI was definitely not underpowered for elk hunting.

I think having both won't hurt... if you decide there's too much overlap, sell one and build another!
I hear ya....I love em both and as I get older I'm growing less and less thrilled with a lot of recoil. Both are loud as hell but not hard on the shoulder at all. Both weigh a touch less than 9lbs without the glass, so they're not that tough to carry. I'll probably keep em both and just wait till cash flow is good and maybe buy a Cooper in a diff caliber. My buddy has 3 Coopers and they all shoot lights out every bit as good as my builds and cost 40% less.

Tough one but I agree with you on keeping both, saving some money and then getting something a 30 cal or larger, thats just me though. However, what you have will kill almost everything in North America.

But a smaller cartridge is also tempting, like a 7mm-08 Rem or a 308 Win.

Tough one but I agree with you on keeping both, saving some money and then getting something else. What you have will kill almost everything in North America.

A smaller cartridge is tempting, like a 7mm-08 Rem or a 308 Win, smaller but highly effective.

Just load the 280 AI with 175 gr. Nosler Partition or Swift 175 gr. A-Frame and go hunting. Elk, Red Stagg and Mule Deer the bullets work good.
Since a lot of Elk hunting has to be done in some Grizzly Bears front yard take the 280 AI would give me a little warmer feeling.

You really messed up bad. The 6.5 has to go. Just send it my way and all your problems go away. Those are my favorite 2 cartridges right now. One isn't really better than the other. I would keep the Bordin and sell the other one and do another Bordin in something 30 cal for a bigger gun or a 6 Creed for a practice gun. Build them on the same specs for familiarity between the 2.
Shep

I don't necessarily look at caliber for two similar hunting rifles, I look at the physical specs.
I run a 6.5 saum that weighs 5.9 lbs for when I'm covering 5-10 miles a day in the toughest NW mountains, or when I'm hunting mostly timber.

For truly open county long range elk hunting I pack a 10 lb (scoped) .30 cal for shots past 800 yards.
One has a lighter more compact scope, the other wears an AMG.

You might set yours up similarly, lighten up that 6.5, and seriously dial in that 280

The 280 is more than enough for the larger game and monos are always an option for heavier structured game. Shoot the heavy for caliber bullets in either and if you go home empty handed, its all on you. Sounds like the 280 would be more packable. Didn't catch your style of hunting. 6.5 is a great all around caliber as well. As someone else stated, set them up differently and enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.