Need a mid-price optic: Sig, Vortex, Athlon

Jumpalot

I'm looking at getting a new scope for a build I'm doing. Need some thoughts on Sig Whiskey5 3-15, Sig Tango4 4-16, Vortex PST GEN2 3-15 and Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15. Main concerns are turrets and low light performance. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Build will be pretty lightweight and relatively cheap as I'm basically just putting a new barrel and stock on an existing a 6.5x284. Will be used to pack around on day hunts and kill everything up to elk.
I'm not sold on the Whiskey5 as it has a covered windage turret, but it has numbers on it in case I decide to remove cap and then dial windage, which I prefer.
Tango4 ticks most of the boxes for me, but not sure reticle will be visible enough at lowest power, and I can't find any info on turret repeatability.
PST Gen2 seems to be my best bet, but haven't heard any real long term reports on turrets. I already have three Gen 1's and haven't had any issues with them.
Ares Gen2 has same concern about reticle on lowest power.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm looking at getting a new scope for a build I'm doing. Need some thoughts on Sig Whiskey5 3-15, Sig Tango4 4-16, Vortex PST GEN2 3-15 and Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15. Main concerns are turrets and low light performance. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Build will be pretty lightweight and relatively cheap as I'm basically just putting a new barrel and stock on an existing a 6.5x284. Will be used to pack around on day hunts and kill everything up to elk.
I'm not sold on the Whiskey5 as it has a covered windage turret, but it has numbers on it in case I decide to remove cap and then dial windage, which I prefer.
Tango4 ticks most of the boxes for me, but not sure reticle will be visible enough at lowest power, and I can't find any info on turret repeatability.
PST Gen2 seems to be my best bet, but haven't heard any real long term reports on turrets. I already have three Gen 1's and haven't had any issues with them.

I've got a tango 6 3-18. The glass is really good, the illumination is great, on its brightest setting it's easily daylight visible. The turrets are not very tactile and the clicks are very close together. The only major issue is the weight, it's a tank at 38oz.
I just won an athlon 4.5-27. It's much lighter and the turrets are very crisp. I haven't mounted it yet but just looking through it it, the glass looks nice. The illumination is not daylight bright, low light seems better, the sig washes out some with the illumination on.

I have a PST Gen 2 that I have put through the ringer. Love the turrets and mine has tracked perfectly out to 1250 and back several times. Has been kicked around on several different rifles. Its been awesome.

Thanks for the input so far. More info I should have added. Don't want to go higher the 4x on the low end. Too hard to see when walking through timber. And, I only use MOA. Maybe someday I'll switch. But, when I do, I want to switch everything and that's just not in the budget right now.

I've got a tango 6 3-18. The glass is really good, the illumination is great, on its brightest setting it's easily daylight visible. The turrets are not very tactile and the clicks are very close together. The only major issue is the weight, it's a tank at 38oz.
I just won an athlon 4.5-27. It's much lighter and the turrets are very crisp. I haven't mounted it yet but just looking through it it, the glass looks nice. The illumination is not daylight bright, low light seems better, the sig washes out some with the illumination on.
Not trying to hi jack the thread but how clear is that Athlon on the higher power settings?

Not trying to hi jack the thread but how clear is that Athlon on the higher power settings?
I have not been able to mount it yet. Still hunting down here and I don't want to mess with my rifle till after season ends. It looks plenty clear just holding it up, but it's awful hard to get a good view just holding the scope.

While I haven't used one I have read good things about the Meopta Optika6 series scopes. Price seems pretty reasonable for the features offered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.