Necking down using bushings?

wolverine99

I am needing to neck down a .338 lm case to .30 caliber. Have any of you used a type s bushing die to do this with a series of smaller bushings? I am curious if there would be lots of run out, dimpled shoulders etc. I am hoping that some of you have had experience with this and have some advice

I'd want to talk to Redding about first, but I don't think its something they recommend. The issue you may run into is that a lot of bushing dies do not contact and size the entire neck of the case. You may end up with some brass near the neck/shoulder junction that does not get sized down.

It doesn't work that well. Often the leading edge of the brass will hang up and collapse the neck.

Try using the 30 cal seating die to make the transition. If it won't work look at any dies you have would allow the neck mouth to get angled inwards slightly. Then use the bushing. I did some of this in necking down a 375 Ruger to 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts