Necking down for a wildcat

.7mm.

I'm going from a .277 to .257 inside diameter with a redding type S full length bushing die. Attempting to neck down in one step is doable but im creating a donut. Is the donut avoidable? Maybe if I went to a two step neck down that would alleviate some of that brass being moved all at once?

Also I'd prefer to size further down the neck but with the bushing die im not sure that I can

Working on my first legitimate wildcat and need a little direction from those who have done it before

20240526_151743.jpg

If you figure it out let me know, I get them sometimes making my 7stw.
I am thinking about getting a reamer for the inside of the neck but I'm not positive on what I should order

My Redding FL bushing die will not size the entire neck but my Redding neck sizing bushing die goes all the way down. This is in 6.5 x 284. Had the same issue going from 6.5 x 284 to 6 x 284 and the neck sizing die worked for me.

My Redding FL bushing die will not size the entire neck but my Redding neck sizing bushing die goes all the way down. This is in 6.5 x 284. Had the same issue going from 6.5 x 284 to 6 x 284 and the neck sizing die worked for me.
I'll try that out, was it all the way down to the shell holder plus some??

I'm going from a .277 to .257 inside diameter with a redding type S full length bushing die. Attempting to neck down in one step is doable but im creating a donut. Is the donut avoidable? Maybe if I went to a two step neck down that would alleviate some of that brass being moved all at once?

Also I'd prefer to size further down the neck but with the bushing die im not sure that I can

Working on my first legitimate wildcat and need a little direction from those who have done it before
Have you tried to chamber one of the neck sized cases? What is your parent case and what are you trying to make?

I much prefer necking down cases as any donut created is on the outside of the brass and worst case can be neck turned if needed.

Necking up creates donuts inside the neck and are much harder to deal with.

Have you tried to chamber one of the neck sized cases? What is your parent case and what are you trying to make?

I much prefer necking down cases as any donut created is on the outside of the brass and worst case can be neck turned if needed.

I have not, im still in the preliminary stages of designing and getting the tooling made for this cartridge so I dont yet have a barrel chambered to do any testing.

Right now im just trying to make up some dummy rounds Before the reamer gets ordered.

This!
1716825747997.jpeg

From L-R:

- .35 Whelen virgin brass,
- after re-sizing using .30 Gibbs sizing die,
- after fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method),
- and after re-sizing with .30 Gibbs sizing die.

I neck down from .264 to .243 (Creedmoor cases), and from .284 to .264 (7-08 to 260), in one step. No issues. I don't really have to anymore since more brass is available, but did it for years.

While I don't use the bushing dies, I neck down 7X57 Mauser to 257 Roberts in one step.
Fair bit of trimming afterwards.
But no donuts thus far.

I have not, im still in the preliminary stages of designing and getting the tooling made for this cartridge so I dont yet have a barrel chambered to do any testing.

Right now im just trying to make up some dummy rounds Before the reamer gets ordered.
Gotcha. Are you planning to send dummy rounds in for them to make your reamer from? If so they can account for this, but what you are seeing would be similar to creating a false shoulder for fireforming improved cases.

Depends on the brass.
Remington and Winchester use the same shoulder and neck thickness.
Necking up most other brands will create a donut that can be turned out. Necking down will create a donut too, but run it through an expanding mandrel and it gets pushed out too, and can be turned too.

Recent Posts