Necking 25-06 up to 30-06

2guns

I just bought a 30-06 and had about 50 pieces of 25-06 brass laying around. I tried a few dummy rounds with it and it sizes ok but is 2.470 to 2.475 under sammi specs. Has anyone here used 25-06 necked up. I've googled everything and can only find necking 30-06 down. Don't want to damage new rifle.

I just bought a 30-06 and had about 50 pieces of 25-06 brass laying around. I tried a few dummy rounds with it and it sizes ok but is 2.470 to 2.475 under sammi specs. Has anyone here used 25-06 necked up. I've googled everything and can only find necking 30-06 down. Don't want to damage new rifle.

I don't remember who said it, I think it was shortgrass but I can be wrong, anyways, he said something like ... "new rifle deserves new brass". :):Dgun)

Cheers!

It won't damage anything but you will likely want to run your brass through a 270 die as an intermediate step. Trim to square and go for it... If short, the brass will grow within a few firings.

As said previously though, why not just get some fresh brass for the rifle, especially considering how plentiful '06 brass is.

I just shot out 40 rounds today of Remington ammo so brass is cleaning for first reloading.

I'm not a real fan of remmy ammo but their '06 stuff seems alright for short range work... Good for getting used to your pipe and making some empty brass anyway...

I wanted the Remington brass but I want to use Nosler bt's and accubonds for here. May try some Barnes out also. I'm planning on Imr 4350 or h4350 to start with. Not sure if good powders for 180 grain in 0-6 but done well in my 300 wsm. Maybe h4895 and some Imr 4064. I probably don't have enough RL22 to get 6 rounds loaded. I do have good results with the RL 22 with heavier bullets in my 7 mag. Just having to start over and learn what this one likes. I've got almost a full box of 165 gr sst that my 308 and I never came to terms with. Mostly woods here and shots not too far but certain times I hit the power line right of ways and can have a few out to 300 or so. Nothing not doable if I do my part.

Fire the 25-06 brass in the 30-06 chamber and it will fire form at the neck. Both are the same cartridge dimensions. You may need to trim after fire forming. If the 25-06 is reloads, make sure they are not real hot.

Necking up a cartridge case will make the thickness of the neck wall thinner. You can neck a case down and if it's too thick you can do something about that. If it's too thin you have no recourse. Winchester head stamped .30/06 brass is currently available. That's the direction I'd go if I didn't want to spend the $$$ on 'premium'. New rifle,,,,, new brass.

Yep, agree with Shortgrass, new rifle new brass. Also any of the powders you mentioned will work with the 165 gr. or 180 gr. bullet in the 30/06. I've used the 165 gr. Sierra G.K. and IMR 4350 powder most of my hunting life in the 06 and out to the 300 yards you want shoot you'll have no trouble putting the 165 gr.bullet where it needs to go,so long as you do your part.

Necking up a cartridge case will make the thickness of the neck wall thinner. You can neck a case down and if it's too thick you can do something about that. If it's too thin you have no recourse. Winchester head stamped .30/06 brass is currently available. That's the direction I'd go if I didn't want to spend the $$$ on 'premium'. New rifle,,,,, new brass.

I knew it! :cool:

I don't remember who said it, I think it was shortgrass but I can be wrong, anyways, he said something like ... "new rifle deserves new brass". :):Dgun)

Cheers!

I use Winchester brass in my 30-06. I'm thinking it was $25.00ish for 50... Can't remember for sure, but it's cheap.

Why not just post the 25-06 brass in the classifieds for trade. Someone may need some and will have what you need.

:)
Redding dies have a expander ball you purchase which can open your 25cal to 30cal. Check on line in the Redding catalog. I have a 250 sav.imp in which I use 22-250 sav. brass with a expander ball to 25 cal. The 22-250 brass is cheaper then the 250 sav brass. This expander ball only works on Redding dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts