La Pua [From 30-06 to 25-06] Help!!!

Eaglet

Ladies and Gents,
What's the proccess to form La Pua 30-06 into 25-06? Do I just drop the 30-06 case in a 25-06 risizing die? is it worth it? This would be used on a factory Remington 25-06. Would I have to neck turn? Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks!!! Eaglet.

Why would you tell him to go throught .270 first? Not necessary at all. Been doing 30 to 25 for about 23 years with no troubles.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you tell him to go throught .270 first? Not necessary at all. Been doing 30 to 25 for about 23 years with no troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I started forming the cases, I had the .270 die and it just made things go smoother - I did not mean to imply that it is necessary... just smoother.

I dont know what gives here, but one time I got bored and tried putting a 30-06 case through my 25-06 FL die and I didn't get a very good looking case. It looked like the shoulder was all messed up, and I dont know if its suppose to look like that or what. Myabe I"ll do it again and take a picture this time. I'd like to use some lapua cases in my 25-06, so I think I"ll try it when I get home. Something just didn't seem right to me the way it looked. I wouldn't know if it would be ok to chamber in my rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Never made any for a 25-06 but I have made a pile for the 6mm-06 and I used a 270 neck die first. I sure that with the annealed cases that it probably woulden't be any trouble as long as you use a good lube

One last thing now that the dust has settled - when going from 30 to 25, tap your case mouths in a perpendicular fashion on your lube pad and use as little cam-over as possible on the die adjustment and you won't see the shoulder bulge being referred to. Once-fired cases should then go back to a solid cam-over. Seeya and good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what gives here, but one time I got bored and tried putting a 30-06 case through my 25-06 FL die and I didn't get a very good looking case. It looked like the shoulder was all messed up, and I dont know if its suppose to look like that or what. Myabe I"ll do it again and take a picture this time. I'd like to use some lapua cases in my 25-06, so I think I"ll try it when I get home. Something just didn't seem right to me the way it looked. I wouldn't know if it would be ok to chamber in my rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Tried the same thing awhile ago 25-06 man my shoulder looked a little funny to, but i did not lube the inside of the case neck here as others said would stop that, my 25-06 should be back from hart soon wanted the quality of the lapua brass to get started with. wish they would make the brass (oem) but i dont think thats gonna happen

Haven't tried Lapua 30-06 to 25-06 but did try Norma for same thing. What a waste of time and good brass neck turned till I was blue in the face both inside and out. Did learn a lot though. Give it a try use the 270 mdie if you have one make it a lot easier.

I would use Norma brass in 270 and start there. Buy a 25-06 form and trim die from redding you'll have not problems. Use imperial wax for lube. Some folks on this site do not like Norma but I use it with almost everything and have had no problems and good life. I will agree I do think Lapua is better brass but very limited on choice. I do use it when I can. Their 223 and 338 lapua I will attest is absolutley great brass.
Hope this helps
RH

I neck size from 30/06 to 25/06 PMC in one pass......

PMC brass is tough as nails. I never get a deformed shoulder, just perfect cases. I use Imperial wax on the case necks....not too much, just enough to feel slick to the touch. The Key is to put a heavy chamfer on the outside of the case to aid in the forming process.

If you are scared of going straight to the 25/06 FL sizer, then use the 25/06 bullet seater because it is larger in dia.

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't tried Lapua 30-06 to 25-06 but did try Norma for same thing. What a waste of time and good brass neck turned till I was blue in the face both inside and out. Did learn a lot though. Give it a try use the 270 mdie if you have one make it a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back and dug out what I could of my notes from this experimint. It turns out I tried to use Norma 270 to make 25-06AI brass. It turns out that there were questions about trimming and when to do it. The case I believe is longer than the 25-06. I would have been better off to use 30-06 and neck it down. Bottom line is I didn't end up with brass that gave me better accuracy soafter a lot of side by side testing I scrapped the experimint. I did however get as many as 12 loadings with Winchester brass by doing minimal sizing, and not shooting the hottest loads I could find.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.