Neck turning for accuracy international .338 lap mag

IMO the question, 'what is the process' for turning, is too broad.
You're asking folks to write and post a book here, while there are books out there for you to pickup & read yourself. I don't mean to seem like a jerk, it's just that it takes a lot of effort to do what you're asking for.

If after searching/reading about turning you had specific questions, well that's where it's actually possible to help you.

No actually I was asking for a simple explanation not a book something like find 80% of the maximum width of a case and turn it to that thickness, if some one gyms me in the ball park just so I don't do it wrong so I'd be on the right tracks and I'll take it from there

Mike, people just dont seem to accept your comments the way you intend, no matter how valid and accurate they are.

Aaron,
Neck turning is not gonna make a huge difference in the accuracy you will see. Its basically just uniforming necks to help you better control neck tension and/or fit your brass to your chamber ( just uniforming necks in your case).

Although if you have really bad brass you may benifit from it more than if you have really nice brass. Either way its a lot of work for not so much result.

I think its more benificial to tight necked match chambers but it serves the same purpose regardless of the chamber.

If you were to decide to do it you will basically need a neck turning tool, a way to hold the case, and a way to drive the case. Most people use their hand which makes the process more grueling.

You typically neck turn your brass when it is new and unfired, and usually you run a mandrel or expander through the neck to remove any dents and bring it near the size of the mandrel on your neck turning tool.

You will then set the neck turning tool so that it removes just enough brass to clean up or unify the necks, and do so all the way up to the shoulder/neck jucntion.

Then trim, deburr, clean and size the brass and proceed to load and fire.

Like mike said,
This process can be quite sophisticated when used in conjunction with trying to control all the other variables included in attaining a high level of accuracy, and to fully understand that, mike would have to write you a book because i surely dont get it.

simple answer, NO, Now if you have a custom chamber with a tight neck then you have to do it and you will have better accuracy most of the time. I can't say all the time because no barrel is proven until you shoot it but 99.9% it will shoot better than a standard sami chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.