Neck tension tool?

magedon44

Hey guy im new to reloading and i have a hornady lock and load reloading press. I have read alot about having consistent neck tension.. is there a certian tool or bushing i need to do this? im a bit confused? I use a full length die and just neck size but how do i get consistent neck tension?

Neck tension is perhaps more about mathematics than anything else.
To establish a calculated neck tension for hunting purposes (it's a little more involved for competition shooting) there are three "tools" that come to mind.

1. Bushing type neck sizing die (Redding is a common source)
2. Range of bushings to provide the desired results
3. Neck sizing mandrel (for neck interior sizing and shaping)
4. Neck turning device
5. Neck wall thickness gauge

Getting the neck wall thickness uniform over its entire circumference is pretty simple. First I size the brass, then run the inside neck sizing mandrel to round out the neck. I put the brass on the Neck turning mandrel and adjust the blade to barely touch the brass. I turn it, increasing the depth of the cut each time, until the entire neck surface shows that it's contacted the cutter. Then I check it with the neck wall thickness gauge to make sure it's concentric within .0005+/_
I don't get obsessive about neck tension for hunting loads, except to make sure the tension is evenly distributed over the circumference of the bullet. I leave the more detailed neck tension processes for competition shooting.

Watch this video of the K*&M force indicator

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PteQGi-LTdM]K&M arbor press with force dial indicator - lower your ES and SD by standardising seating forces - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.