Near 35mm Alphamount

jweigel

So I was going to install a new Mark5 HD on my Rem700 but have always gone with one piece mounts like DNZ or a two piece like Talley. The Mark 5HD in the higher mags is a 35mm main tube which all but eliminated anything but picatinny rail. So I reached out to Richard Near of Near Mfg to see if he had done any 35mm Alphamounts. He quickly responded that he had but only for a Weatherby. We visited several times on measurements and desires on my end. He even did the mount in a raw finish to match the SS lock the gun had.

This is the lightest, minimalist, most well designed mount I have worked with. Even has locking tabs the protrude below the bottom of the base that lock into the fore and aft opening of he receiver. He sent mounting scews that were individually numbered and sized to the .010 to fully engage the receiver without and extra length.

IMG_20190816_111531.jpg
IMG_20190816_111548.jpg
IMG_20190816_111602.jpg

This is on my rebarrel STW. Scope is Leupolds 7-35 with Impact 60 reticle.

Only reset zero so far. A couple cow elk tags to fill in WY this month will run it though paces.

Thanks Richard for making a one piece 35mm mount.

jjw
ND

Last edited:
I have several Near Alphamounts and I agree completely they are quite special. The lugs in the bottom of the mount are amazing I still remember when I put the mount on my 257 WBY the lugs were machined so well they held the mount on without screws

Nice looking rig jw that scope looks huge doubt you'll have much trouble holding that on with an Alphamount.

Good luck ad shoot straight y'all

Richard has a photographic memory too I'm pretty sure.......I talk to him about once a year, and am by no means a major customer, but he always remembers me like it was yesterday.

No better mounts or customer service in the industry.

One of the things that impresses me most about NEAR manufacturing is the thermal processing. Richard's designs and attention to detail are amazing, but proper hardening and stress relieving really set his products apart. Truly the best direct mounts I have ever worked with.

For clarification, I believe the Alphamount is the Picatinny mount and the Alphahunter is his direct mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.