My visit to Proof Research

ukenout

PROOF Visit

During a mid-August trip out west to the Inaugural Darby Project Historical Shootout my traveling companion Dave and I were fortunate enough to be able to make a stop at one of the premier rifle barrel makers in the country. Although familiar with their product, I didn't know PROOF Research Barrels were made in the beautiful town of Columbia Falls, Montana. When I think of barrel manufacturers I think of more industrial towns. However, I was shocked to see that in this town of roughly 5000 residents stood one of the most state-of-the-art manufacturing plants I have ever seen. It was impressive that nestled in this small town, just miles from the entrance to Glacier National Park, a very modern, high-tech company had decided to set up shop, creating jobs and producing something very different in the firearms world. Like many consumers, carbon fiber-wrapped barrels weren't new to me. I've seen them on high dollar, ultra-lightweight mountain rifles used by extreme hunters going after game where the terrain tests man and equipment, where ounces make pounds! However on this day I got to see the science and technology behind what makes PROOF Research the leader in carbon fiber barrels.

Upon arriving we had to be buzzed into the facility's secured front entryway and then were required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Basically, a "you saw nothing" type document. We were then given some visitor badges and met by Chris Polley, Marketing Manager, who was expecting us. Chris brought us into a glassed in showroom where many of their products were on display. We sat and introduced ourselves and gave each other some background on our lives. I was surprised to learn that Chris came to PROOF after working in outdoor apparel/equipment and cycling industries. Chris told us a little about the origins of PROOF Research and introduced us to their aerospace division located in Dayton Ohio where they make high-temperature composite parts for the B1, B2 and F-35 aircraft. After about half an hour chatting we must have passed the test and got to go back into the manufacturing section of the facility. One of the first things Chris explained was their concept of manufacturing processes and how each workstation was set up for maximum efficiency using a Japanese manufacturing methodology known as 5S. I was amazed at how clean the entire place was—also an element of the 5S methodology.
We got to walk through each station and peek into all the various machines. Along the way we got to see many barrels in various stages of the manufacturing process. It was fascinating to see how they went from a piece of raw stock to the various stages of production, including long hole drilling, contouring, rifling and the most unique machine there where the magic happens. The process of how they wrap the carbon fiber onto the barrels is mind boggling. There are many various strands of carbon fiber that are put on in an "orchestrated PFM machine." (PFM I call Pure Freaking Magic) because who ever thought of this was part genius and part magician. The carbon wrapping goes on in a variety of angles and this is what really sets their process apart. It was like a carbon fiber spider wrapping each barrel! Chris let us stare and gaze at the PFM machine and get up close with almost any part we wanted. For me I can appreciate good carbon fiber work because some of my medical devices on my legs are carbon fiber. It made me wish I could talk PROOF into working on my leg equipment.
It was also apparent that the engineers and production staff take a lot of pride in producing the highest quality product. Each barrel passes through two quality inspection stations, one after rifling and then another one at final. This has allowed them to drastically reduce their scrap during the manufacturing process. One of the other things we learned was that PROOF produces their own rifles as well, including making their own carbon fiber/Kevlar stocks. During our tour we got to see the rifle assembly section, and like every other section the work centers were spotless. My friend Dave was walking around with his jaw open most of the time because he is an at home "tinkerer" so to be inside a place that has so much state-of-the-art engineering processes and equipment was like being a kid in a candy store. At every stage he would ask Chris so many questions and I was amazed that for a former biker and outdoor equipment guy he knew answers to everything. This speaks highly to not only him but to everyone else we met there.
It was apparent that PROOF Research was out to become THE world's barrel maker and that they are invested in its people and facility to help them achieve their mission.

At the end of the tour we got to step inside the company's very own 100-meter indoor range. The same theme continued here—the place was spotless and the equipment was top notch. We got to walk down the very long tunnel and see the various sensors on the Oehler 85 Ballistic Chronograph that recorded ballistics and then also saw their capability of being able to record test firings in super slow motion.
After lunch we returned to the same test range and were given permission to test out Dave's 375 Cheytac he had put together for us to shoot in Washington State. It was a great opportunity to get some super accurate velocity measurements from the hand loads Dave had put together.

At the end of the day Chris gave us some gifts to pass out at the Darby Project HSO. As we drove away I told Dave that that was one of the most impressive manufacturing sites I've ever been to and I've witnessed the construction of naval submarines, military MRAPs and fighter planes at Lockheed. You could tell the engineering practices PROOF Research employs in their Aerospace Division has crossed over into making their high-quality barrels. For me, I have a new respect for the barrel making process. I guess I can't say bullets go in one side and come out the other anymore. If you are ever lucky enough to take a tour at PROOF Research you will see that they have taken barrel manufacturing to the next frontier.

Very cool. Im not so patiently waiting for my smith to finish mounting and cerakoting my proof barrel on my 300WM. This makes the wait even harder. Thanks for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.