My Three Year Research Results: Best Electric Bike

joeg26er

I've been researching my electric bike purchase for the past three years plus. Here are the conclusions I have come to:

1) must be MID-drive: most efficient, longest range, best handling, can use any wheels

2) Yamaha or Shimano STEPS system: best warranty, support

3) The BRAND of the Electric motor system matters more than the brand of the bike (see #2)

to be continued

I've been researching my electric bike purchase for the past three years plus. Here are the conclusions I have come to:

1) must be MID-drive: most efficient, longest range, best handling, can use any wheels

2) Yamaha or Shimano STEPS system: best warranty, support

3) The BRAND of the Electric motor system matters more than the brand of the bike (see #2)

to be continued

What did you select and what type of use are you anticipating?

"Must be Mid-drive"...
Mid drive means rear wheel drive only. And mid drives put a lot of strain on the chain.
If my 2 wheel hub drive bike's chain breaks on the way back to camp at dusk I can still ride it back and fix it at my leisure "Because hub drive".

"Must be Mid-drive"...
Mid drive means rear wheel drive only. And mid drives put a lot of strain on the chain.
If my 2 wheel hub drive bike's chain breaks on the way back to camp at dusk I can still ride it back and fix it at my leisure "Because hub drive".
Litehiker, interesting point. With 2 hub drives (and batteries to support) how much does that bike weigh?

My E-CELLS Super Monarch Dual Crown weighs 95 pounds, 75# with the batteries off for transport on my bike rack. Yeah, a "beast" but it can haul 400 pounds (including rider and gear weight). I weigh 190 and haul about 25 pounds of gear including my rifle. so that leaves me with about 85 pounds of boned-out meat I can haul out, sufficient for antelope, mule deer and bighorn sheep minus the cape.
I would not be afraid to exceed that load limit by 50# given the bike's power. It has two 52 volt motors, not 48 volt (that advertise 52 volts "max") like most e-mountain bikes. Using the max output from a 48 volt motor will burn it out much faster than using them on a 52 V noter. Yes,you don't use max power constantly but using it for more than a few minutes dows harm the motor(s).
I keep my bike in 2 wheel drive mode at all times when hunting B/C it's easier on the motors.

So if you want a sport e-mtb go ahead with the mid drive. But a cargo e-mtb really needs hub drive(s).
Different drives for different purposes. Neither is "bad" or "best". Depends on the use.

Last edited:
My E-CELLS Super Monarch Dual Crown weighs 95 pounds, 75# with the batteries off for transport on my bike rack. Yeah, a "beast" but it can haul 400 pounds (including rider and gear weight). I weigh 190 and haul about 25 pounds of gear including my rifle. so that leaves me with about 85 pounds of boned-out meat I can haul out, sufficient for antelope, mule deer and bighorn sheep minus the cape.
I would not be afraid to exceed that load limit by 50# given the bike's power. It has two 52 volt motors, not 48 volt (that advertise 52 volts "max") like most e-mountain bikes. Using the max output from a 48 volt motor will burn it out much faster than using them on a 52 V noter. Yes,you don't use max power constantly but using it for more than a few minutes dows harm the motor(s).
I keep my bike in 2 wheel drive mode at all times when hunting B/C it's easier on the motors.

So if you want a sport e-mtb go ahead with the mid drive. But a cargo e-mtb really needs hub drive(s).
Different drives for different purposes. Neither is "bad" or "best". Depends on the use.
Wow, 95#. I whine about my bike weighing 21#. Still, you have a really cool use of the technology. I can see the advantages of a hub drive and I ride with a guy who has one in the rear. He likes it. But for me, when I take the plunge I'll probably go mid drive so I can have flexibility with wheels. I play around with wheels on my bikes now and will want to continue.

I believe the best e-bike will vary greatly depending on the rider and his needs/expectations. Hunting or riding conditions can vary greatly depending on the type of terrain, the elevation gain & loss during an outing, the need to carry additional gear/weight, the suspension you want for your style of riding. After studying several models, I realized that there was no one model of e-bike that checked all my boxes. There was always some compromise required.

Regarding hub motors, they are great for flat to rolling terrain. But if steep hill climbing (be it street, road or trail) is in your future, then hub drives lose out to mid-drives every time. They simply don't have the torque to get you up those long hill climbs. For those of us who hunt out west, the need for elevation gain is almost always a must. As to the chain breaking problem, several manufacturers are now making beefier chains specifically for e-bikes. If my chain ever breaks, I simply remove the broken link and then add a new replacement link to the chain. I always carry a couple spare links and the tool to replace them in my handlebar bag. A chain break is a lot easier to repair than a flat tire- especially on tubeless rims.

After I did my own research, I decided that the most cost-effective e-bike for me that required the least amount of compromise was one that I would have to build myself. I bought a used mountain bike for $1,000. Then I installed a Bafang mid-drive and reprogrammed it to provide nearly 1,500 watts of power. The conversion cost was another $1,600 for motor and all other necessary parts. Total cost was $2,600. The bike weighs almost 60 pounds (including large battery). I can carry approx. 350 pounds on the frame (rider included). Top speed on this ten speed MTB is 30 mph. Range is just over 30 miles on battery using only the throttle control. If I use peddle assist, I can get close to 50 miles before battery is drained.

Last edited:
WOW I think that for a few $Ks is a lot for my mindset. I remember when you could get a Honda 90 for about $500 or a Suzuki 185 for $695
How things have changed. For the past 27 years I always hunted with a 4X4 pickup and didn't go too far from the vehicle. Now scouting was a different story. I would walk miles and miles. Come to think of it there was not any terrain where I could actually use a E-Bike. Now i did hunt in NY where my hunting friends used 4x4 ATVs to get around from the farm house we rented to there stands.
I guess if I was out West and there were areas where you could not drive a vehicle and there were trails to ride a bike on it would be a good idea.

I believe the best e-bike will vary greatly depending on the rider and his needs/expectations. Hunting or riding conditions can vary greatly depending on the type of terrain, the elevation gain & loss during an outing, the need to carry additional gear/weight, the suspension you want for your style of riding. After studying several models, I realized that there was no one model of e-bike that checked all my boxes. There was always some compromise required.

Regarding hub motors, they are great for flat to rolling terrain. But if steep hill climbing (be it street, road or trail) is in your future, then hub drives lose out to mid-drives every time. They simply don't have the torque to get you up those long hill climbs. For those of us who hunt out west, the need for elevation gain is almost always a must. As to the chain braking problem, several manufacturers are now making beefier chains specifically for e-bikes. If my chain ever breaks, I simply remove the broken link and then add a new replacement link to the chain. I always carry a couple spare links and the tool to replace them in my handlebar bag. A chain break is a lot easier to repair than a flat tire- especially on tubeless rims.

After I did my own research, I decided that the most cost-effective e-bike for me that required the least amount of compromise was one that I would have to build myself. I bought a used mountain bike for $1,000. Then I installed a Bafang mid-drive and reprogrammed it to provide nearly 1,500 watts of power. The conversion cost was another $1,600 for motor and all other necessary parts. Total cost was $2,600. The bike weighs almost 60 pounds (including hage battery). I can carry approx. 350 pounds on the frame (rider included). Top speed on this ten speed MTB is 30 mph. Range is just over 30 miles on battery using only the throttle control. If I use peddle assist, I can get close to 50 miles before battery is drained.
Sugar, like any good parent you must have pics of your "e-kid" to show us. Inquiring minds.......🤔

Let me see what I can do. She is currently clamped into my repair stand for a change of shift cable. I decided to try a different style of shifter, but didn't realize how time-consuming it would be to re-thread a shift cable back through an in-frame design. With work and other distractions, the change is going slower than I anticipated.

Let me see what I can do. She is currently clamped into my repair stand for a change of shift cable. I decided to try a different style of shifter, but didn't realize how time-consuming it would be to re-thread a shift cable back through an in-frame design. With work and other distractions, the change is going slower than I anticipated.
I'm feel your pain. I've had to fish cables through the inside of frames before and it can be tricky. I was usually able to attach some fishing line to the old cable first, but the passages are often tight, and the attachment has to be about the same diameter as the cable. Ugh.