my reloads suck?!?!?!?

bigsal5353

ive trying to get a load for my 30-06 for deer. shootin out of a 22 inch remington 7600.. im shooting hornardy sst 165gr.. i have worked up 2 loads using imr4064 and 2 loads with 4350.. none of the loads shoot good.. i can shoot a .75 group with factory ammo... i cant get under a 2 inch group with any of my loads... i load for my 22-250 and can put 5 rounds into .5moa .. so i dont think its my reloading ... whats the problem?

The rifle you have is not noted for extreme accuracy!The rifle may be real finnecky and need a speciel loading to shoot real accurately.I'd try some different O.A.L in the gun.

Lifes too short and it can get expensive to figure everything out.My 7mag and Sweede both like factory loads and nothing I have reloaded even comes close so heres my solutions.
#1 I dont shoot them that much anyway so I sold the reloading dies and baught factory ammo with the procedes(I've still got a box of each).
#2 I spend my time on the rounds that I shoot more(223,45lc)and that I can't buy facory ammo for(80 grain 22-250,6-284,375-50BMG).
You might try makeing sure they are full length resized and crimping the bullets in tight.

Big Sal,
While it will be hard to firmly diagnose the exact problem, we can give suggestions for you to try. First thing I will say is keep an open mind.
Your rifle seems to be fairly accurate, .75" with factory fodder is good. The 7600/760 series that I have shot in the past have been fairly accurate also. The barrels on these are actually free-floated.
The first thing I would try is a slower powder. While IMR 4064 is a known good .30-06 powder, it just seems too fast (to me). IMR 4350 is also a good all-around powder and shoots well in alot of different calibers. I would try a little H4831 or RL22. I especially like RL22, it shoots extremely well in my .25-06/7mmRemMag and the 7mm/300 WSM and 300WinMags that I have reloaded for.
As for primers, I usually use CCI BR2's or Rem 9.5, 9.5M's. I've bought all the "others" before, but these "show me the money".
Some say the SST's aren't that accurate. I got good results (.451") for four shots with the 154gr in 7mmRM. You may want to give the same weight Ballistic Tips a try. They are relatively cheap considering the accuracy you can get from them. Think the .30cal/165gr is on sale at MidwayUSA right now for 9.99/50 ct.
Hope this tips help. Johnny K.

Some guns just don't like "some" bullets. If you don't want to buy more 30 cal bullets see if you can get 10-15 of some other brands from a buddy. I've had great luck with plain jane hornady interlock flat bases. I had a 308 blr that was finicky and I was trying all sorts of upscale bullets. Then finally went to 150 grain interlocks and it really shot well. I've have seen lots of complaints on the 165sst for accuracy--but then again have seen some real success stories. 4350 many times is a real good powder for the rem auto's. I have a friend that I introduced to reloading and he used to get really beat up necks on his brass after ejection. He's now using 4350 and the problem has disappeared.

BTW--stories like this make me snicker and think how finicky we get about reloading. How many posts do we see about how guys are panicing cause they got .003" runnout and they think it's the end of world. Then we see a couple of real world examples of great shooting factory ammo. "plain jane" bullets sitting in "rough mouthed" brass that has up to .007" runnout and the darn stuff shoots 3/4". To me it's just a good testimonial that barrel harmonics matched to the load the matched THAT GUN are the real basis for accuracy.

Bigsal5353,
I agree with Johnny K try a slower powder,
but also try a different bullet like ballistic tip's,the worst groups I've ever
seen came from Interbond's the SST's brother.
B

I understand entirely what you mean Kraky, when you talk about reloading. Bottom line, you have to give that barrel/rifle what it wants. Forget what you want, or what your buddy is shooting. Too many times we as reloaders (me included!) get set on a specific bullet, powder or primer that we want the rifle to shoot and the barrel harmonics just don't jive.
Case in point: I have a good shooting buddy who had a Browning BAR in .270 Win that usually averaged 1/2" or better (with reloads). He traded the thing for another BAR in .25-06 and it shoots 1.25-1.50" if he's lucky. Most of the time groups are around 2"! He has been fighting this rifle for about 2 weeks now and still hasn't gotten it to shoot worth a hoot. I've been in contact with him pretty much the whole time. He has tried every powder he has, even bought a can or two to try. He told me Saturday that he has already shot 4 boxes of 100gr Ballistic Tips and still nothing. He asked what I shot in mine? Ans: 100gr Ballistic Tips and 100gr Barnes TSX with RL22 and CCI BR2's (I shoot a Sendero SF). He refuses to try the Barnes because he doesn't like "copper bullets". I even offered him some free. He did buy a lb of RL22, even though he has said in the past he doesn't like Alliant or Hodgdon. I've suggested that maybe his barrel would like the Sierra 90gr HP, 115gr NBT, Sierra 120gr HPBT, Partitions, SST's. Bottom line: he wants that 100gr Ballistic Tip to shoot. It's fun to watch a drama in the making, deer season opens in 12 days! LOL. Johnny K.

I can relate to finding the right load as I bought a 22/250 and sellected a bullet with a nice BC and I was getting 2 inch groups if lucky. I played around with powders, seating depth, floating the barrel and working the trigger with no luck. I forgot about what "I" wanted (a heavier bullet for goats & small deer species) and tried a 50gr and instant 1/2 inch groups. It appears the barrel twist on 22/250's, in alot of cases, are suited to getting the highest velocities so tend to be talored more to the lighter projectiles. I had a similar experience with my 7mmRM and went from my accurate 130 & 150 grainers to the Hornady A-Max 162gr and the groups went from 3/4 inch to 2. The right weight projectile for the barrel twist I found has an awefull lot to do with accuracy.
tongue.gif

in addition to the good advice that has been posted, get a bullet comparator on some of your factory ammo and find the oal, and then try this length with your homeloads.

i know a few guys who couldn't get reloads to work but factory stuff was good. they increased the bullet jump to 120thou, which was the same as their factory stuff and low and behold, it shot a treat. this big jump goes against accuracy convention but it is worth a try.

what shape are your 2" groups?

derek

What Kraky said. I bougth a box of Hornady 154grIB & can't get them to shoot in my .280 or 7mm Dakota. Both rifles shoot great w/ just about any other bullet, but hate the SST/IB from Hornady.

Some guns just don't like "some" bullets. If you don't want to buy more 30 cal bullets see if you can get 10-15 of some other brands from a buddy. I've had great luck with plain jane hornady interlock flat bases. I had a 308 blr that was finicky and I was trying all sorts of upscale bullets. Then finally went to 150 grain interlocks and it really shot well. I've have seen lots of complaints on the 165sst for accuracy--but then again have seen some real success stories. 4350 many times is a real good powder for the rem auto's. I have a friend that I introduced to reloading and he used to get really beat up necks on his brass after ejection. He's now using 4350 and the problem has disappeared.

Very good words here---pay attention..

I have a rem 700 in 3006 and have handloaded with 165 sst. I seated them to just touch and use ADI 2209, an australian powder similar to 4350. I ended up using 58 gr and got .7 inch 3 shot groups at 100yds. half a grain either side gave 2 inch groups. My rifle also shot 165 ballistic tips best at 58 gr.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.