My Old Man Passed Away

Sorry for your loss.

While it's certainly more tragic for a father to die young, the fact that he was good and old doesn't make him less missed, no doubt!

I hope it's not out of place here, but on the subject of the importance of fathers and the lifelong impact they have on us…my grandfather died a few years ago now. He had very severe Alzheimer's, we all saw this coming, and it was a mercy by the end that he was able to be done with the hellish ordeal. He didn't know who I was, who his wife was, who any of us were half the time (the other half he was cogent and that was almost worse, he knew in those moments who we all were or at least that we were family, he also knew that he had been "gone" for a while and was literally losing his mind.

An interesting, moving, and devastating thing, towards he end he kept asking us and the nurses

"Has anyone seen my dad? He was just here, I really need to see him. There's something I need to talk about with him".

His requests got more and more urgent and desperate even, and maybe it really was just the brain degeneration talking and nothing more, but at the end, when everything else was gone from him mentally, it really did feel like I was talking to a little boy in an 80 year old man's body, and he was having a hard time and couldn't understand and just needed his dad. His dad was the last person he remembered and the only one he never forgot, lucid or otherwise. He had been dead for 40+years.

The last time I saw him in his right mind I didn't even know what to say so I read the 23rd Psalm to him in the hospital bed and told him he was gonna be okay now. He died two days after that.

I like to think he got to talk to his dad about that thing that was bugging him