My New Mutt

Looks like Patches ordered herself a patio doggie door $150 later, at that price I thought
installation was included. Silly Me
Yes Siree Bob a $100 dog it is.

Dean
Hmmmm I think Patches is going to be eating steaks soon. Excuse me I meant ribeyes. And none of those treats from China please. ;)

After losing my border Collie a little less than a year ago, my wife out of nowhere says that there is a void in her life and she wants another Dog. I say OK lets get a rescue God knows there enough of them out there,
so she goes on pet finder and finds the one she wants fills out the back ground check and we are approved.
Come to find out the dog is in Montgomery Alabama and we are in southern Florida. I say honey that's not really reasonable, so after some pleading from her "that did not work" then some pouting from her "that did not work either" then came the crying "That worked" So were off to Alabama all 687 miles worth "one way"
We left on a Friday and came back on Saturday, lets see we both had to miss a days work, meals on the road, over night hotel stay, fuel for 1350 miles plus, "my 3/4 ton chevy doesn't do that well millage wise" The dog was only a hundred dollars, but my wife said that was not expensive enough that pup is worth a lot more so she made another hundred donation on top of that. So basically I am in to the freakin mutt for roughly $1200.00 What a bargain. this is what I ended up with.
I present to you Patches
View attachment 280108
To me it looks like Patches is sizing up the situation. This isn't her first rodeo. "Mom is getting me all kinds of stuff,...... Let's see what Papa is going to do......". ;)

A lot of my rifles are Stevens 200 which was they old Savage 10 and 110. I use to be able to buy them for the longest time for$199.99. then I would sell the barrel for $100 and the stock for $50, the stock was not worth that much but it was to the guys who wanted to start bedding there own nice stuff. And it gave them something to practice on and learn from it. Then I would do the trigger wire mod, and the bolt ballbearing mod and I was good to go.
Then I would screw on a custom barrel that you could get for $200 at that time a Boyds thumbhole stock for $99 and to finish it off a Vortex 6X24-50 for $99 so for less than $500 they were pretty awesome Varmint rifles and did everything I needed them to do.
One time it was around Christmas
on another forum "not Hard to guess which one" I said that I would send out a trigger wire and a ballbearing to anyone who wanted one no charge "I was in a giving mood" and I had a whole spool of wire and a whole box of bearings that I knew I would never use all of them in this life time. I said just pm me your address and I will drop one in the mail, well I ended sending out over 500 of them.LOL
I thought my hand was about to give up from all that writing from filling out they envelopes me and my big mouth. DoH

Dean

Last edited:
I'll say this Dean. You just got Patches and you already have a great story to tell. I have no doubt that she'll bring you and your wife many more fun stories and adventures to tell. I say you came out ahead buddy, she's worth the price of admission.

Awesome story and I feel your pain. One day out of no where my wide decided she wanted a hound and not just any old hound she had her mind made up she wanted a Walker. I said "honey hounds arent like normal dogs" she said she didnt care so the search began. I didnt drive 600 miles plus I got to buy our dog Copper and an airline ticket from Iowa. We got her the day we picked her up at the air port my wife was crying with excitement. She took that pup out of the crate and I dont think that hound walked 100 steps the first 2 months we had her, my wife carried her everywhere. We did the same dog door but first I had to put up a 6 ft cedar fence around the back yard (340ft worth). I told her hounds are hard headed she said they just need love. Copper will not listen to one word she says haha. Remember the not normal dog comment well let me tell you what a hound gets out of the yard you dont run after them and calling is worthless you get in the d@mn truck and follow them till they decide its time to come home. The longest was Copper ran into a yard with the gate open and when I got her loaded up the return trip to my house was 7 miles. About the 7 month mark of ownership Dad took over training, shes now a old hound 13 and she listens great to me. I hate to admit it but she turned out to be an amazing dog although there isnt a raccoon, skunk or possum safe around our place and believe me when she sounds off at 2am baying cause there is a raccoon in the yard the whole house knows it for sure.

Good luck with your pup she sure is a cutie...