my new custom light weight hunting build

when i got the stock i asked for it to be bare since i was going to have it cerakoted but when it was ready to ship they called me and insisted that it had to be painted from the factory. i explained what i was doing but the guy was insitent so fine paint it whatever color you want but im still going to have it done. so when the stock arrived it was painted which was fine but the length of pull was an inch short so i figured rather than wait for them to build another i would just change the pad and it would be ok. i got it to my cerakote guy and when he blasted it he said they had put thick filler in a few places which is why they insisted on painting it. so i got it all done and looking good so i bedded the stock and shot it. unimpressive 1'' group. took it to the smith and he could not find anything but bolted it into a chassis and it shot 1 hole. long story short i bedded it three different times and have come to the conclusion that the foam filler is too soft and letting it flex too much. called the manufacture and they basically told me it was all my fault for having it cerakoted and that i didnt know what i was doing bedding it which i have done upwards of a 100 rifles with great success. bottom line Allterra will never get another dime of mine.
Well, that's a pretty good reason to potentially not look at that route. To bad you had so many issues, hope you find something that works for you and your build.

I am a south paw and run an xlr chassis. I bolted this together almost three years ago. It is an atom magnesium. Some people hate the look of them but they work. This is a switch barrel rig that has barrels in 338 SS, 7 Saum and 375 Sam.

Attachments

• 143C3FF3-9091-433D-84B5-636057103FA3.jpeg
    143C3FF3-9091-433D-84B5-636057103FA3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
I am a south paw and run an xlr chassis. I bolted this together almost three years ago. It is an atom magnesium. Some people hate the look of them but they work. This is a switch barrel rig that has barrels in 338 SS, 7 Saum and 375 Sam.
Nice setup!! What scope is that?

so i got it all done and looking good so i bedded the stock and shot it. unimpressive 1'' group. took it to the smith and he could not find anything but bolted it into a chassis and it shot 1 hole. long story short i bedded it three different times and have come to the conclusion that the foam filler is too soft and letting it flex too much. called the manufacture and they basically told me it was all my fault for having it cerakoted and that i didnt know what i was doing bedding it which i have done upwards of a 100 rifles with great success. bottom line Allterra will never get another dime of mine.
That is what I hate about the full custom route. It's as easy to end up with a hammer as a turd!

I believe you did a reasonable job diagnosing. Tell Xterra you will give them X dollars to make it shoot as well as the chassis or…..no need to tell them what the or is? But a guy with free time can find a lot of potential customers to complain to.

On the other hand, they don't sell stocks separately anymore for a reason.

If I sold custom stocks, I think I would insist on stocking the rifle. ….and the customer provides 60 rounds of ammo. To prove it shot same or better after.