My First Deer - Year 1973

ADMIN

Administrator
I am 51 years old and I can remember that weekend as if it happened yesterday. It was one of those days when you're young, you feel like you're immortal and nothing in the world is wrong. I was 13 years old. It was 1973 and deer season. I was in camp with my dad and his friends and their children. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, My First Deer - Year 1973, By Harold Stephens. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Yesterday my 15 yr old grandson found out about gut shot deer. He skinned and quartered the deer himself with guidance and wisdom from me:). Wisdom and experience passed onto another generation.

Yes you are saying right "HRstretch" Wisdom and experience passed onto another generation. I agree with your words you know I am just 22 years doing hunting like my grandfather had done. You why because I take every technique from my grandfather about hunting he is a master man in this field.

my first deer hunt was in 1947. the thing that stands out in my mind most is that i was cold. very cold from the time we left home. we left our se pa home
on a sunday in my fathers 46 chevy. heaters in cars those days were an extra
and that one didnt have one. so the vent windows were open to keep the windshield from fogging up. what would now be a 4 hour trip then took 8 due to lousey roads that went thru every town along the way. for a 12 year old kid in the back seat freezing it seemed like a year. there were very few good
clothes in those days for hunting and no good boots at all. high leather boots
smeared with grease were what most used. about all that did was keep the water in once it got there and it always did. we stayed in an old caboose which had been drug back into the hills of lycoming co and used as a sugar shack. i used my fathers model 37 ithaca pump shotgun loaded with what were then referred to as punkin balls. there were 4 of us including my father
a friend and my older brother and i. we stayed for 1 and 1/2 days of hunting then drove home. we got no deer but did see some does and a few dead bucks gotten by other hunters.
this past season was my 65th hunting the mountains of nc pa.
lots of things have changed over those years. i would love to revisit those days when life seemed more simple and relaxed.
that is if i could take my modern equiptment with me.
the best thing about the old days is that we were younger.

I also enjoy the comfort of modern clothing and heaters. I know that what I pass along to my children and grandchildren is not the same the same way as I learned but these are different times and we have different technology at our disposal? I just hope they thing back on their learning years and pass on the knowledge and stories to another generation.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.