My First Bobcat of 2008

BigMo

After making an attempt Sunday morning I went back to make a few stands Sunday evening looking for a Bobcat that would cooperate.
I have not called this stand this year as the area has been occupied by deer hunters until just last week. The hill side is covered in cedar and in the past I have killed a bobcat or two on this proberty so I felt good about the location.
I sat with my back to an old cross fence next to a tangle looking slightly uphill. The wind was light as I bagan to cry out on my Stone Coyote "Cripple Cottontail". Each series lasting maybe a minute and a half with only a short two minute pause between each series. Bobcats seem to loose interest if you give them much time to think about it. I had been there 17 minutes when I first saw her moving slow but steady though the cedars. She made her way down the hill about 100 yards before she seemed to realize she was running out of cover.
She stood up tall and straight as I lip squeaked at her giving me a clear shot into her chest. She could not have been over 40 yards when the rifle barked. She folded up in her tracks and dropped in the dry grass.
I was very pleased when I got to her to see the shot had entered perfectly though the right shoulder and no damage at all was visable. She weighed 22 lbs which is about average for a female in my area. She has lots of spots and in my opinion is a perfect Bobcat to start the year off with.
I made 3 stands but I saw no other cats before dark.
Sorry no feild photos....I keep forgeting the camara
Thanks for the fur Rudy!
547812_153_full.jpg

I named the little maple call the "Criple Cottontail" not
too loud but a good crisp sound that should pile up the
critters as the season goes on. Rudy at Stone Coyote
Calls made it and a long time friend ( 220 Swift ) sent
it to me to work with. It's a very good friend that gives
you a gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Terry
547812_151_full.jpg

Beautiful fur. I don't think if I've ever seen one here in Wisconsin. BigMo, where do you hunt?

Hunting Area

Len I am in NE Texas just 20-25 miles south of the Red River.
Paris Texas is my core area but I also hunt quite a bit of SE Oklahoma and even some up in central Oklahoma.

20-25 miles south of the Red River.

This means a little more to me since I just watched John Wayne in "Red River" in HD over the weekend.

Sounds like you live in predator hunting heaven!

Sounds like you live in the right area. I wish I could find those here in WI. You probably have a little nicer weather than we do as well.

Way to go!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.