My Curtis Vector Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmcmath, Nov 21, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

Nice rig! I am headed down the same road with a TL3 and a switchlug. I think the Vector looks better but swappable bolt face has me on a TL3 still. Good luck and I am excited to see how well it tunes.

jmcmath likes this.
  2. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I had been planning on a Bighorn before deciding on the Curtis, those are great looking actions as well. The swappable faces is really convenient. Luckily while it is more expensive you can buy separate bolts for the Curtis actions. I was able to pick up a standard bolt a while ago and hope to eventually add a .223 bolt to this kit as well. It would be nice to have a trainer barrel that wasn’t a burner.

Tidus56 likes this.
  3. Tidus56

Yeah mine will have a 223, 22 Creed, 25 SST, 6mm Creed, and a 6.5 creed. I will have 2 stocks. An EH-1 and a smaller style stock for my short barrels and light barrels. I am doing a second switch. I think it will be on an SR3 big horn with the Wyatts cut for the longer coal. I will have a 28 Nosler, 280 AI, 30-06 and if I can make an 338 edge work I will. I already have a lot of these cartridges on Savage setups so already all set up to shoot. I am sure it will change a bit though. Waiting for the wife to finish doctor school so she can foot the bill lol.

4. jmcmath

Very cool
    That’s the dream right there.

I’m also very interested in a long action magnum build. A 28 Nosler/338 Norma improved would fit well in the safe. We will see, hoping to not start another build before filling out this one.

Tidus56 likes this.
  5. Defiance7mm

Defiance7mm Well-Known Member

After seeing this build I sold my custom 300 NM and have 6.5 SAUM build in the works. Did a Vector with a 7.5 twist proof carbon, KRG Bravo chassis. Should be fairly light for hunting 20190406_171737.jpg 20190406_172055.jpg

Tidus56, highdrum and jmcmath like this.
  6. jmcmath

That’s awesome! Glad to be a good influence.

Had I been more experienced in reloading I likely would have done a SAUM, as it is I’m enjoying the PRC and using it to learn to load on. Keep me updated on yours! Awesome actions, running the bolt is addicting.

Defiance7mm likes this.
  7. Defiance7mm

Defiance7mm Well-Known Member

Will do, my barrel is at my buddies being spun up now. I love how smooth the Vector runs! I have both .308 and mag bolts for it. Going to get a MPA chassis and a 6 Creed barrel for matches. The ease of swapping barrels and a bolt sold me

8. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

@jmcmath how do you like the Curtis actions? I'm going to build a 25 creedmoor/7mm ss switch barrel on a bravo stock. Was entertaining the idea of a bighorn origin or Curtis axiom. I know the axion is a step down from vector, but other than machined on rail and lug, they're very similar.

jmcmath and Tidus56 like this.
  9. Tidus56

She will be done in October, so pretty soon here.

jmcmath likes this.
  10. jmcmath

Love it, would do the Curtis again every day of the week if I had to build the rifle over again. The manners is the only thing on the build I’m not in love with.

It’s pretty likely my long action will be on a Helix whenever it happens. They feel great, they run great and I can call/text the owners if I have an issue or question. Customer service is nuts. Longest I’ve waited on a callback from Joel was a whopping 15 minutes.

Edit* As many have likely seen now Joel Russo is no longer affiliated with CC. I feel it necessary to state that all of my communication and business was conducted through Joel. This is not to say that CS would not be good without Joel, as I have none to speak of. It is important to me that I note that none of my CS comments are applicable without Joel being present.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  11. jmcmath

Anyone wanting this stock PM me, it'll hit the classifieds soon. J allen on the way.