My first full build

GunDoc7

Looking for a quick review (obviously since it's just one photo) of my first full project. I formed the stock from an English walnut blank, and used Ebony walnut for the inlet and end cap. The action is a Remington 700 short action that was blue printed by me and the barrel is a 28" six-groove Lilja that I chambered for the 6.5-.284 Norma; it has a few other internal after market parts as well. And please understand this is still a work in progress, there are some touch up's that I am aware of such as the trigger guard and the adjustable butt plate not being anodized yet but I wanted to post and get some input while I had the chance and before I wrap things up hopefully this summer.

IMG_20140127_174828_627.jpg

I think it looks really nice. I am a sucker for pretty walnut.

I have an almost obsessive hatred for Leupy-style adjustable rear windage bases. So my only critical feedback would be to bend them up with pliers so they can never be used again and take them to the recycler and watch them go into the furnace. :D

Clearly, I have some bias!

Nice looking rifle.

Brandon

Haha to all his own brother, but I appreciate you taking the time to look and reply. My bias is toward anything Leupold so I like to start with the long range one piece base with the windage screws so I can turn my windage turret on the scope to the center and bore sight with the base screws that way I'm starting "perfectly" parallel with the bore; allowing more windage adjustment.

That is a nice rifle. The older I get the more I like and appreciate a nice wood stock. I picked up a build yesterday from the smith and have been considering putting it in a nice piece of wood.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And I agree, I think wood looks the best; not saying I think all synthetic stocks look bad but a wood stock with distinct grains, and curls, and knots is so unique and attractive it cant be beat. And if you have the time, patience, and tools I'd suggest doing as much of the work as you can, the reward of finishing is pretty cool.

What did you build? If you don't mind me asking.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And I agree, I think wood looks the best; not saying I think all synthetic stocks look bad but a wood stock with distinct grains, and curls, and knots is so unique and attractive it cant be beat. And if you have the time, patience, and tools I'd suggest doing as much of the work as you can, the reward of finishing is pretty cool.

What did you build? If you don't mind me asking.

It's a 7mm-08 with Rem varmit contour barrel. Ive been wanting to build this rifle for awhile. It will setve as my hunting/target rifle.

It's a 7mm-08 with Rem varmit contour barrel. Ive been wanting to build this rifle for awhile. It will setve as my hunting/target rifle.

Very cool. Are you definitely looking for wood or is the laminated wood stocks also an option for you?

Very cool. Are you definitely looking for wood or is the laminated wood stocks also an option for you?

I prefer solid wood. I have no problem with laminated stocks but for myself it's solid wood. I ended up coming across a deal I couldn't refuse on a B&C stock local and I picked it up for this rifle. I'm still not ruling out swapping it over to wood at some point and going wood on a couple of future builds I have planned.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.