Muzzle Brake Tikka t3x

Dogman-1

I have a Tikka T3X Roughtech in a 308 ordered and was wondering about how much recoil reduction I can expect (very subjective, I know) from the factory brake.

I know people complain about the radial design kicking up dirt but I don't think I am ever going to shoot prone; so, that's not an issue. Recoil is the primary concern since I have shoulder issues.

If the factory brake doesn't work out what would be a good replacement, since the barrel will already be threaded?

Many thanks,

Ken S

My dad bought a roughtech 6.5 prc last year and the factory brake isn't bad. It's hard to compare because I haven't shot it with the factory brake then screwed a different brake on and shot it to compare. I know it has more recoil then my 6.5 saum with a MBM 3 port or my wife's PRC with a APA little bastard but different stocks etc make a direct comparison hard.

Take it out and shoot it, if it's more recoil then you want and you don't care about weight get a 4 port APA. The patriot valley brakes are also good, so are MBM. Just get a self timer and screw it on.

Hey Dogman 1. I bought a Tikka T3X Roughtech in 7mm Rem Mag for my daughter. I also sighted in my cousin's 300 WM in the same model. I found that the factory brakes really aren't very efficient/effective. I believe that the reason being is that the brake exit hole is way oversized as compared to the bullet diameter. I'm thinking that they do this for safety/liability reasons. However, in a 308 you may be fine depending on your preferences.

I bought a 4 port TI Pro II brake off of the Rokslide online store. These are great breaks weighing approx 2oz, and they cut the recoil by half or more. It is a non self timing version. I think sanded it down very slowly on a flat piece of metal until it was timed. My daughter weighs 120 lbs soaking wet and she can handle the 7mm shooting the 162 ELD-X's just fine. I've had good luck with the Gentry Quiet brakes in the past too.

Good luck to you. Enjoy your new rifle

I very much prefer side port brakes over my radial brakes for hunting. I have ran a few MBM and other basic brands and hands down the MBM are super effective. I pay the extra to have them tapered down to barrel diameter and have them timed. The four port works just fine for me on my 28N and 300WM compared to the five port. Off the bench or where I can have something solid/barrier underneath (besides my hood or anything that can be damaged) radials are fine.