Mushroom hunting

I had them growing beside my house. Under a large Pine tree. I couldn't give them away. I found some for my Dad when younger. And after he stank the house up cooking them. I didn't find anymore. And if something stinks that bad when cooking I surely don't want to eat it. lol
There's a pretty good chance, might not have been cooking those Morels the right way. Use like Shore Lunch walleye breading mix and cook em up like Walleye but, the Morels will be done in about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how hot the oil or butter is. Just don't overcook them., should be like Grandma's cornbread baking in the oven smell.

There's a pretty good chance, might not have been cooking those Morels the right way. Use like Shore Lunch walleye breading mix and cook em up like Walleye but, the Morels will be done in about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how hot the oil or butter is. Just don't overcook them., should be like Grandma's cornbread baking in the oven smell.
That's a good possibility. He overcooked spaghetti one time, it was like wall paper paste. lol

I always split them in half lengthwise or quarter the larger ones. Heat up some butter in a cast iron pan then just throw the mushrooms in, salt and pepper and only cook them for maybe 2-3 minutes.
We should start seeing these between May 10th and May 20th in the mountains. View attachment 567466
Those are some nice size morels. We have to beat the deer to them to get any that size.

I used to bow hunt them but shot placement is such a challenge. Where the heck is that things heart. I switched to a .338 Lapua Magnum and now I have trouble finding anything left. Idk... Maybe I should switch to hunting asparagus. 👀 😶
With a 338 Lapua magnum I doubt that you will have any better luck with asparagus. 🤣

In NE PA we used to hunt "Sheeps Head" and "PaPinkies" in the beginning of the Fall usually right after a rain. for the PaPinkies they would grow in clumps around logs dead trees. Now the Sheeps Head kind of looked like Colliflower and when you would find it growing you would keep it a secret and let it keep growing bigger with time.
You can dry put the PaPinkies by threading a string through them and hanging. When they are dried out you can then use to make soup. OR you can Can them. Cooking with some butter and with scrambled eggs.

In NE PA we used to hunt "Sheeps Head" and "PaPinkies" in the beginning of the Fall usually right after a rain. for the PaPinkies they would grow in clumps around logs dead trees. Now the Sheeps Head kind of looked like Colliflower and when you would find it growing you would keep it a secret and let it keep growing bigger with time.
You can dry put the PaPinkies by threading a string through them and hanging. When they are dried out you can then use to make soup. OR you can Can them. Cooking with some butter and with scrambled eggs.
I've kept my sheeps head spots a secret but there's always others looking for them. Someone else has found my spots and they don't bother waiting for them to get bigger. It's disheartening when you are waiting for them to get bigger and get out there and they are gone.
Pics from a couple years ago

Attachments

• 3C6BDE45-AD90-4262-8A0E-D568966804AC.jpeg
    3C6BDE45-AD90-4262-8A0E-D568966804AC.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A28F6078-A37F-4D9C-B5DD-5AD6681911F5.jpeg
    A28F6078-A37F-4D9C-B5DD-5AD6681911F5.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 9
  • D4F52F60-EA4A-4546-AE27-D89B1E2998F3.jpeg
    D4F52F60-EA4A-4546-AE27-D89B1E2998F3.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 9
I've kept my sheeps head spots a secret but there's always others looking for them. Someone else has found my spots and they don't bother waiting for them to get bigger. It's disheartening when you are waiting for them to get bigger and get out there and they are gone.
Pics from a couple years ago
Love them Sheephead!!!!
It's had to keep them growing if someone else is in the area. Everyone thinks they found them first and take them before someone else does.

Man... we used to get gallons of morels every spring in Mussouri. One of our favorite things to do and eat.

Still trying to find one in Wyoming. I miss it.

I cannot imagine morels stinking while cooking them. Maybe the oil you used?/
They smell heavenly when we cook them.
As per our PM on the ballistic tips deal we made a couple months ago I will be headed somewhat close to you in 2026 for a deer hunt and would be happy to bring you a small batch of morels if they are plentiful that spring.

Thats one thing about where and when I grew up. When the Blue Berrie were out we would pick gallons of them, same with Swamp Berries (giant blueberries in the swamps), Black Berries, Grapes, Pears, Apples, all vegetables & shrooms (even the kind that grew in cow flops that was when I was in the Corps) and mom would make pies and can. Really didn't buy those things from the store. Same thing with meats. We raised cows, chickens (double we got meat and eggs), hogs and got fish went we went fishing.