Mule Deer in Wyoming

Jumpalot

Well, I kept bugging Kirby and he was nice enough to get my Edge done so I could use it this season and it has been paying off. I killed a doe antelope at 823 yds. (new personal record), but was in too much of a hurry to take pics. Tonight I only had a few hours to try and get in a quick evening hunt. I knew exactly where I wanted to go as I saw some really good deer there last weekend. It all happened really fast. My buddy and I jumped two deer out of their bed and saw a really tall one go around and over a ridge. Thinking we blew it, we started working around and here he comes back and stops right at the top facing us. I quickly laid down and My buddy Nick says wait until I tell you to shoot. We didn't even have time to range but I figured he wasn't much over 200yds. Nick said, " He's not super wide but he's really tall." The deer looked a little to our right and I said, "He's got pretty good forks." At this point I'd pretty much made up my mind that I wanted to shoot this deer and had squeezed all but the last four ounces out of my trigger. But I waited for Nick. As the crosshairs were held on his brisket, Nick says "He's got pretty good weight too." I asked, " What do you think?" Knowing the gig was just about up. Now keep in mind, from the time I laid down until now, less than 30 seconds had passed. Then Nick said, "He looks pretty.....BOOM!!!!! the shot was away before he could finish. The deer hunched and started running downhill. It made it about 20yds. before running into a juniper and piling up for good. Nick started screaming and jumping up and down. I was still in shock. I didn't even have time to get nervous. Not until we walked up to the buck and I put my hands on him did my heart start to beat fast. Sorry we didn't have time to clean the blood up, but we were trying to beat the light. I know that this is a long range hunting forum, but I'll take a 200yd shot at a buck like this everytime.

Kirby Allen built 338 Edge
Rem. Brass
94 grns. H1000
CCI primers
300 grn SMK @ 2840 fps

Last edited:
Dave that sure is a nice buck. You weren't kidding when you said you knew where to hunt.
I'm glad that new gun of yours had enough energy to take down that monster ;-)))
Sure had a great time talking to you and hearing about what hunting life is like in your area. I'm sure jealous! AND THANKS AGAIN for the help getting my tire replaced. I was out of there in less than a half hour, back out hunting.
I got a nice lope buck with my MOA in 7 Sundance but didn't get a shot at anything moving with my Savage/Cooper/CSRifles 338/300 WSM ;-(( It was deadly on rocks out to 700 yds.

Mike

nice deer and grads all around
i live in indiana but go to Sheridan Wy every year to hunt on my friends ranch i too killed a nice one this year but don't know how to post the pics.
i have been going to this ranch of 15 years.

Thanks everyone. TCKev and Yotefever, I've been thinking about getting a SP. Might have to hit you up for some info, I'll start doing some research on SP. Had a blast BSing with your group, hope to see you all next year.

Jumpalot ask all the question's you need to. I have 2 full blown custom Greg Tanel built XP's and have asked a bunch of question's myself in the process of both build's. The hardest part is deciding just what cartridge to choose. I have 1 in 7.21 Lazzeroni that I shoot 168gr Berger's 2850fps. I shot both my Buck and Doe in Casper with. The 2nd is a 300 Dakota that I plan on shooting 185 or 210gr Berger's hopefully at an Elk one day.

Kevin

Congrats! He's got some nice tall tines. Great buck. I'll bet he makes a fantastic mount!

Although this long-range stuff fascinates me - I'll take a buck at short range if that's what happens. Last year in Wyoming I think my shot was between 20 and 30 yards... Sheesh... This year my Washington buck was at a mere 230 yards.

You did yourself proud with that earlier long shot on the pronghorn.

SM, like yotefever said, I'm in Casper.
michael A. It was on public ground.

Yote, I didn't jump up and down untill I had drug him down to a semi-level piece of ground. The hill he died on was very steep. I was still in shock untill I had him dressed out and loaded on the atv. You can probably tell by the dumb look on my face in the pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.