Muck boots for snake bites

Q. Where can a cottonmouth or rattlesnake bite you (while you're standing) that'll kill you fairly quickly?

A. The popliteal artery behind your knee.

It's unlikely this will ever happen but it can and there are "snake gaiters" to protect against this.

The odds of being bitten by a venomous snake in the U.S. are estimated at 1 in 37,500. (The odds of being killed in a car accident are far more frightening at 1 in 112.) -national geographic
So, we need boots with air bags and seat belts, eh? Oh, and not texting while walking through snake infested woodlands would be a good idea too.

Seeing a snake and thinking that you have had a close call is about like seeing a shooting star and thinking that you almost got struck by a meteor. :)

But if I were worried about it, I think Muck boots would be about the last choice I would make. I have a couple pairs, and they are waterproof and very comfortable, even for walking all day. However, for me they just seem to exhibit very light-duty construction, and only last a couple years before they start to fall apart. I have put holes in the shafts of mine by snagging them on barbed wire and thorns.

That's an intriguing question you've got there. Whenever I would plan to venture out into the wilderness I too always thought about maximum protection. I never quite thought about a snake attack. There was a time when I was begging to start my hobby and I would try to find the best possible equipment. I had a lot of fails with the gear I would buy and wear. The material was so bloody cheap and it would just rip and slowly fall apart. The boots are most likely a priority (they should be anyhow). It was my quest to find the boots that were to be my "best friends" on trips and I did find them thanks to a special someone... http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-elk-hunting-boots/ The comparison and the ups and downs of each type of footwear were quite informing; it would help anyone in search of some high-quality boots. You might be wondering what I picked – Irish setter men's 880 elk tracker waterproof 200 gram 12. It just fitted me as a hunter well. For you, however, I'm not sure about the snake attacks you may encounter but I can assure the boots are quite durable and made of the best of leather. Go and check it out; you will find your perfect pair thanks to the great comparisons they have. I should have mentioned this earlier, for you or anyone else, if you're not in to reading this much or having a conversation about the boots you can check out this review that I thought was helpful: It's a pretty short video, but we don't really need it to belong. It's just the information that matters. I hope you guys find your perfect pair.

I have some old cabelas snake boots, I wear them when it's above 65. I know they will stop a snake bite from a cottonmouth in south MS. I retire the muck boots around mid March.

I never work on the place without snake boots.

morning, I live in TX. when I was younger and stupid
I used to catch and sell rattlesnakes. even with proper
equip. make sure and carry toilet paper and extra
underwear. these repitiles sp make normal people
do strange things. snake boots justme gbot tum

For a year I worked as a Forester in southern Mississippi. We wore heavy canvas chaps with aluminium over covering the canvas below the knee. The chaps zipped at the back of the leg up to the knee and snapped together above that. We used them for snake and briar protection year round, yes they were noisy and boots wore right at the bottom of the chaps.

I haves owned a pair or the side zip snake boots from bass pro and I would advise against them they are comfortable and have not such a heavy tread witch I liked but they fell apart on me the very next season the soul coming apart from the leather and the water proof linker on the inside split in the heel I thought maybe I just got a bad pair but I bought a pair of the regular work boot style boots with the side zip and water proof and once again they did the same exact thing great for about 3 months of everyday use and then the liner split at the seem. I now own a pair of the lacrosse alpha lite 3.5 boots and love them I also wonder if they would help against snake bites from smaller snakes being 3.5mm neoprene and a layer of denim pants under that. I think lacrosse offers a boot similar to the alpha lite that is a snake boot but as far as the alpha lite's are concerned I love them very comfortable and light I've got probably about 40 miles give or take on them already and they are holding up great

I haves owned a pair or the side zip snake boots from bass pro and I would advise against them they are comfortable and have not such a heavy tread witch I liked but they fell apart on me the very next season the soul coming apart from the leather and the water proof linker on the inside split in the heel I thought maybe I just got a bad pair but I bought a pair of the regular work boot style boots with the side zip and water proof and once again they did the same exact thing great for about 3 months of everyday use and then the liner split at the seem. I now own a pair of the lacrosse alpha lite 3.5 boots and love them I also wonder if they would help against snake bites from smaller snakes being 3.5mm neoprene and a layer of denim pants under that. I think lacrosse offers a boot similar to the alpha lite that is a snake boot but as far as the alpha lite's are concerned I love them very comfortable and light I've got probably about 40 miles give or take on them already and they are holding up great
The one place I know sells good stuff (not cheap) is Forestry Suppliers - here https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Search.php?stext=snake chaps

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.