Mossberg map lc

Megabus

Hi I'm new to this and was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with the mossberg mvp lc in either .223 or .308? I know there pretty new but the local gun shop has one for $1500 new with vortex viper scope. Seems like a pretty good deal but it's a mossberg. I've never been a fan of there shotguns. My goal is to be able to reach out to 800-1000 yards just target shooting and I want to go with a .308. I guess my question is a mossberg really to be taken seriously for long distance shooting and should it even be considered when I could just get a Remington 700? I like the tactical look of the mossberg and the scope and bipod it comes with. I know I could put a new chassis system on a 700 but I'm looking to not spend more than I'll have to. Thanks for any advise or input. Sorry for the long post.

I just purchased the new Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag. If you do a little research on Mossberg it has been making barrels for other rifle companies for years.

I have a 308 MVP in an MDT stock I bought before Mossberg started mounting the MVP on MDT stocks. They are rock solid.

For that much money, pick another rifle. Honestly, I have an MVP .223 in an MDT stock which I use as a match rifle for .223-only class competition. The LC model wasn't offered yet when I got mine. If you get your scope mounted low enough you'll be able to get away with the factory cheek riser, otherwise you might need to look into one of the butt stock options from XLR Industries. With my higher mounted scope configurations 3/4" of cheek rise just wasn't enough. I'm back down to a 44mm objective now and low rings so it's not a problem anymore but with 50+mm objectives it was.

It's a neat gun but the AR-15 mag is a gimmick. It's only useful for guys sticking with loads meant for that. If you like heavy bullets you lose the ability to load long. The factory trigger is actually pretty good for a lawyer resistant trigger. If you don't like it, don't bother with the Timney as it's no better than the factory unit, go with the Jard trigger if you replace the stock unit. Aftermarket recoil lugs and barrel nuts are available when you decide to rebarrel.

Accuracy with them is so-so out of the box. Typical results from factory ammo are 1.2-1.5MOA. That's not uncommon at all. With hand loading you can probably find a load that'll do a good bit better better than 1MOA. I'm now on my 2nd barrel (custom this time) and that's working great. Extractors are really fragile on the .223 platform so avoid steel cases and hot loads. Ask me how I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.