More powder less velocity ?

The 6.5 Creedmoor is nearly identical to the 260 and the max load listed for it with Superformance and a 120-123 gr. bullet in Hornady's 8 th. edition lists it at 48.5 gr.
The listed velocity is 3000 FPS. from a 24 " barrel. My 260 barrel is 30". Some people claim that reloaded ammo is "flirting with disaster." I do not try to push my loads to the limit. I only used that cartridge as a referance point to start from. I chose a mid load to start with at 45.5 and worked up to 47.5 gr. So in conclusion,if the Creedmoor can ce loaded with it, why not the 260? By the way,46.5 - 47.0 gr. shoot bugholes with this powder. Thanks for you response and caution to me.
.. SEMPER FI ......SARGESNIPER

Sarge,
I do apologize for the FWD statement, if I just would've turned 2 more pages in the 8th, I would have seen what you're saying, I used it and the Berger manuals to base my theory:rolleyes:

Someone has to pioneer some of this stuff, and sounds like it'll work. I do stand by my pressure statement at 46.5gr though, I've seen drops before in velocity with increased charges, and to me it's the only sensible conclusion.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and I wasn't trying to portray otherwise.

Tried Varget and was not too happy with it. I do use H-4350 in the 260, but i wanted to try this powder out to see what it could do. I was surprised and pleased all in one. The velocity was good and the group was great. The H-4831 is also good with 139 gr.lapua's. I'm kind of off the 260 right now. Just got a Rem 700 in 308 that im working with,really a good shooter @ 300 yds. Shot it out in the Swamp a few weeks ago and it really shined with one load. Anyway i will get back to the 260 soon and try the test again.
Thanks for the input man.
SEMPER FI ............ SARGESNIPER

That's what it's all about finding what works best for you. Varget , H4350 , H4831 and H4895 are all made in the same factory .

Attachments

• Varget.pdf
    723.2 KB · Views: 74
Sarge,
I do apologize for the FWD statement, if I just would've turned 2 more pages in the 8th, I would have seen what you're saying, I used it and the Berger manuals to base my theory:rolleyes:

Someone has to pioneer some of this stuff, and sounds like it'll work. I do stand by my pressure statement at 46.5gr though, I've seen drops before in velocity with increased charges, and to me it's the only sensible conclusion.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and I wasn't trying to portray otherwise.
No apology necessary, when it comes to safety you should speak your piece. I took no offense to your statement. You know, the best group i got with that powder was around 46.5 to 47.0 gr. It shot nearly all in the same hole. It was so good that i ordered 8 more pounds of it and 500 more 123 A-Max bullets. I understand what you said about Hornady's wanning. I was told awhile back that they produced several different blends of it but only released one. Didn't attempt to verify because this blend i have really shoots for me. Now as far as the pressure goes i cannot agree with your findings. I saw no pressure signs at 47.5 and feel as though i could go higher but the accuracy is so good and the velocity is good why go up? Like i stated earlier, i do not push any load too far in all the rifles i load for. It will lead to some sort of disaster in one form or another. Either barrel or tissue will suffer if you go too far. Thanks man for your concern i do appreciate.
SEMPER FI ....... SARGESNIPER

That's what it's all about finding what works best for you. Varget , H4350 , H4831 and H4895 are all made in the same factory .
Varget is good in the .308's also but i could not make it shine in my rifle. IMR 4895 and 8208 XBR are very good. In fact i loaded 8208 abd 168 bergers to get a very fine group @ 300 yds. With my new .308. If only every caliber was as good to the reloader. We all would save an awful lot of time and money. Thanks again man.
..... SEMPER FI ............. SARGESNIPER

The other thing you need to know is that some powders produce less pressure as temp goes up and others produce more pressure.
Some even produce less pressure colder or hotter each side of 70 F ( RL 15)
Some just produce more pressure as the temp climbs in a linear fashion.
(W ball )

Some are almost uneffected by temp ( Varget ) & ( ADI made Hodgdons )
It would be wrong to assume that all powders perform in the same predictable temp and pressure pattern , they don't .

That can explain the strange velocity rise and fall .

The other thing you need to know is that some powders produce less pressure as temp goes up and others produce more pressure.
Some even produce less pressure colder or hotter each side of 70 F ( RL 15)
Some just produce more pressure as the temp climbs in a linear fashion.
(W ball )

Some are almost uneffected by temp ( Varget ) & ( ADI made Hodgdons )
It would be wrong to assume that all powders perform in the same predictable temp and pressure pattern , they don't .

That can explain the strange velocity rise and fall .
I'm with you on the pressure issues. That is why i decided to call it quits at 47.5 gr. the velocity was high enough and the group was excellent at 46.5- 47.0 gr. Like i stated earlier i do not like to push the loads too far. I have done that one time in the past and still remember it well. Do not want a repeat. Thanks man i appreciate it.
SEMPER FI .... SARGESNIPER

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.