How much “Less” is “More”?

YZ-80

Guys,

You know I've been working with my Tikka T3X and it was kicking butt with the 123 SST, but I could not help myself and wanted to try the 143 ELD-X. This gun hit pressure quick with the SST, so I did back off and ended up at 2770 fps from 41.7 grains of H4350 at .25 MOA. I found a low node with the 143 ELD-X at 2465 fps @ .31 MOA. I know that's really pokey but at 300 yards it's still .5 MOA and is moving at 2084 fps. I max out at 350 yards on my farm for whitetail, so I figure, why push it and look for a higher node? Might as well conserve components and be kind to my equipment. What do you guys think?

with your range limitations I would be using the lower node. there is still plenty of speed for proper bullet expansion and penetration. also with the lower velocities they won't be so explosive at close range, remember the ELD line are designed for longer distances where the velocity has dropped. at high velocity and close range they can be explosive causing meat loss.

with your range limitations I would be using the lower node. there is still plenty of speed for proper bullet expansion and penetration. also with the lower velocities they won't be so explosive at close range, remember the ELD line are designed for longer distances where the velocity has dropped. at high velocity and close range they can be explosive causing meat loss.
Those are all benefits I did not consider. Thanks!

You have lots of options at 350 yards, just need to consider bullet performance at a given velocity. .25 and .5 moa is awesome but not required at that distance, just saying. Pick a combo that knocks them down, DRT, and don't look back.

Recent Posts