Montana Unit 700

brunogreco

Drew my first antelope tag this year. Really pumped to get out west to hunt for the first time. Any suggestions for a first time antelope hunter in unit 700 is greatly appreciated. I have shot plenty of deer, turkey, and ducks in the Midwest, not new to hunting, just to western hunting.

Look anywhere between Miles City and Cohagen. Call Montana FWP and get a copy of the block management list and call the land owners that are listed.

700 got hit hard a few years ago with a bad winter kill. Last few years I haven't seen much in the way of speed goats. Hopefully the numbers are increasing.

I have hunted muleys and antelope out of Jordan for the past 10+ years.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you wish to discuss.

--md

Brunogreco: I would make EVERY effort to be "on scene" before the actual Antelope opening day and have your scouting done!
Antelope become VERY wary after the first day of exposure to Antelope Hunters!
If at all possible be out on the prairie in your now chosen scouting district and put the Antelope you've chosen "to bed" (watch them from a mile or so away!) at sundown - then before daybreak opening day be on scene with the rising sun at your back to approach/stalk your chosen Antelope.
I Hunted area (Region!) 700 for the first time back in 1969 (45 years ago now!) and do so LOVE that Region from one end to the other!
I have taken probably 50 - 55 Antelope out of that Region myself and assisted 25 to 30 other newbies and sons of mine tohereabouts in taking their first Antelopes.
Be on the lookout and listenout for Rattlesnakes as they abound in that area.
I recommend a Harris Bi-pod for your Rifle and cactus proof walking/hiking boots. If you are NOT familiar with Region 700 and rain begins developing then head for improved county roads (gravelled) or pavement!
I have been "gumbo bound" in my 4x4 trucks on at least 8 occassions in that area.
And those were NOT short term "stuck in the muds" their durations ranged from 2 to 7 days!
Wonderful taxidermist (does the best Antelope mounts of ANY I have ever seen!) in Miles City - Fabers Taxidermy - owner Paul Faber.
Enjoy your Hunt - and again time on scene early will pay BIG dividends!
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hunting in that unit actually starts on the 15th of August.They will be well away they are being hunted by the rifle opener.gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun) :D

Thank you for all of the responses. It turns out I am actually the only one in our group that drew an antelope tag. Our plan is to be there Oct. 23 and get a couple days of chasing goats in before deer season starts. The four of us also bought deer tags. Hopefully all goes well. I wish I was able to get out there and spend some additional time scouting, but one of the guys that is going is pretty confident that he will get us on goats. They have been successful the past three years in a row.

I had to laugh when reading the post from VarmitGuy . In 1974 my wife and I had a first hand experience with the Eastern Montana mud while hunting antelope north of Jordan. It is everything he says it is. If it looks like rain, head for paved or gravel roads!!

While serving in the Air Force in the 1970s I drew 700 area antelope tags two years in a row, and killed my first antelope there and the mount is on my wall today. In those days there were herds behind almost every hill it seemed, but I understand the numbers are down now. Since then I have taken much bigger antelope in three additional states, but the Eastern Mt plains are still a special place to me. God's Country for sure. Love to return if I can draw the darn tag !

Hope you had a great hunt

I had to laugh when reading the post from VarmitGuy . In 1974 my wife and I had a first hand experience with the Eastern Montana mud while hunting antelope north of Jordan. It is everything he says it is. If it looks like rain, head for paved or gravel roads!!

I was in the senior center in Jordan and old people use the word 'gumbo' a lot to describe the mud.
I noticed that if is gets cold and snows, people can finally get around.
We went to two furrows road and slung mud off the mud tires on a 4WD for 10 miles.
That is the third lowest population density county in the lower 48 for a reason.... mud in the sagebrush.
It is against the law to get off the road in BLM land, and my vehicle does not have the clearance to stay in the ruts. But my brother lives in Jordan, so I have hunted it. But I have had to watch TV for days when it was too muddy or too windy. Sometimes I do carpentry on his house to kill time.

You can be on a big county road and see a sign, "may be impassable when wet".
I have got stuck on the flat.

Attachments

• MudInMontanaDSCF3067.jpg
    MudInMontanaDSCF3067.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 151
Just wanted to give everyone an update....Had a great hunt. Shot a nice goat on the first day. First stalk put us within 110 yards on a goat that I decided to pass on. Shot this guy a few hours later and couldn't have been happier. My three buddies all filled their mule deer tags as well.

Attachments

• Antelope.jpg
    Antelope.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 342
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.