Montana NR Combo license

86alaskan

So, planning on floating a section of the Missouri through the breaks next year. I've got my preference point for this year for next years draw. When I get the non resident mule deer/elk combo license, what exactly does that allow me to do? For the price and what it looks like, I would think that it allows you to hunt and harvest one of each species. I do get the sneaking suspicion that the extra cost only allows you to choose which one, not harvest both. Anyone know what this license actually allows for?????

Watch out for the gumbo! And two years ago the sections we checked out hadn't had an elk of any sex for months! It had been very very dry and fires too in fairness. I just think MT a little over exaggerated the herd count. Mule deer up in the reservation were a different story. Many nice ones and a few special ones. We were north of the CR not in it fwiw.

Not sure what unit your floating bit with a general deer elk combo you can not shoot elk in most of the breaks units I'm aware of. The rifle tags are highly sought after and even cow and archery tags are special draw. Also, the last 2 weeks(I think) of general rifle season, the Charles m Russell wilderness areas close for mule deer bucks to protect during rut. At least for general tag. Double check all the regs but this is how things have been, or close.

You might be able to take a cow in the upper breaks with a general tag, on one side of the river.... But they are not necessarily there all the time and I think you need to get lucky there to encounter elk. I've hunted it out of my jet boat and it is really great country with a good bit of public land. Never did see any real big muleys but we got some deer in there and I would maybe do it again sometime.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.