Montana leftover deer tags

Hey buddy I am just trying to be helpful. I have only drawn the 260-20 tag ten to fifteen times in the 30 years I have lived here. My interpretation is correct or I would not have posted it. You are correct in assessment that if you are not sure the best thing to do is ask MFWP. Good luck in your quest and have a great weekend.

Likewise!

I got that, but it still does not constitute "legally" harvesting 2nd buck as he noted. "IF" I understand him correctly if he has a 260 archery E/S WT deer tag and a general deer tag, he can harvest two deer bucks. My understanding is that he has two opportunities to harvest a buck; archery only in HD 260 and during general rifle season, but can only legally harvest one deer buck. That is also how the FWP Law Enforcement told me before but as I said, I need to talk to them again if there are any changes. I do not know who writes the hunting regs but they are never clear and concise.
The 260B is either sex

The 260B is either sex

I got that and I am not disputing that it is E/S special as I noted but it still does NOT constitute harvesting two deer bucks legally. It is another opportunity but not necessarily mean the holder is legally allowed to harvest two deer bucks per year. You can tag an antlered deer with less than 4" of antler with a doe tag for the area, that's the only way I know you can legally harvest 2 deer bucks.

Because I too want to pass on the right and accurate information, I have sent out a query to the FWP Law Enforcement Department about this and I will see if I can stop by the Region 4 office today.

Hey buddy I am just trying to be helpful. I have only drawn the 260-20 tag ten to fifteen times in the 30 years I have lived here. My interpretation is correct or I would not have posted it. You are correct in assessment that if you are not sure the best thing to do is ask MFWP. Good luck in your quest and have a great weekend.

I finally got through the Region 4 Office Law Enforcement section today. The agent said, yes you can have more one opportunity (general A tag and special permit tag) to harvest a deer buck but you can only legally harvest one buck a year. We had a nice conversation and provided me the following references:

Resident lic and permit availability chart pg 12.png

(Extracted from page 12 of the 2020 MT DEA regulation)

Non-resident lic and permit availability chart pg 13.png

(Extracted from page 13 of the 2020 MT DEA regulation)

Deer license and permit pg 15.png

(Extracted from page 15 of the 2020 MT DEA regulation)

Deer permit pg 16.png

(Extracted from page 16 of the 2020 MT DEA regulation)

As previously noted

That is true with a permit, did you ask him about a Deer B.
Were not talking permit.
Deer B is an extra tag I've had several.
Most of the time Deer B are for does only but the 260 clearly states it's either sex in the regs.
Read post12 again and my attachment, were clearly talking about Deer B not permits there 2 different things.

Last edited:
That is true with a permit, did you ask him about a Deer B.
Were not talking permit.
Deer B is an extra tag I've had several.
Most of the time Deer B are for does only but the 260 clearly states it's either sex in the regs.
Read post12 again and my attachment, were clearly talking about Deer B not permits there 2 different things.

Yes, but deer B (does) is not the issue that was brought up and I know you can harvest more than one. The special permit is your "legal" permission to hunt the area on the specified dates but you still need to use the general A tag "legally" tag your harvest, regardless if you decide to fill your E-S tag with a buck or doe. That is why it says "deer permit must be used in conjunction with the general A deer tag and it does not allow you to have a second deer."

Like I previously noted, my goal is to pass on the accurate and legal information. What you do with it is entire;y up to you, esp. when you are trying to explain to a game warden.

I just read the reg and nowhere it says you get an additional whitetail buck ...

View attachment 192502

The bottom-line, it is your ultimate responsibility to know the regulation for the game you are after and defend or face the consequences associated with it if you are stopped and inspected by the game warden. That is why I am going to ask the LE side of FWP because your interpretation is not the same as mine.

Good luck on your hunt!
This is what you were arguing about in previous post. We both stated this was about Deer B not a permit.

Sometimes its better to just walk away!

I was not the one that brought out the issue. It is a learning process for me as well. When in doubt, I will always go directly to the source for clarification. This was NEVER meant to point fingers but rather having the right information. What one does with it is entirely up to the end-user. Cheers!

I just happened upon this discussion. I've lived in the Bitterroot nearly my whole life. The 260-b is a license. Key word, "license". It is not a permit. It is legal under Montana law to harvest two whitetail bucks in area 260. It's the same scenario with the five "licenses" to kill whitetail does in 260. I have the personal cell phone numbers of all the Region 2 Wardens, and the Captain if you still have doubts. 406muley

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.