Montana leftover deer tags

Other than doe tags, there haven't been any "extra" "A or buck tags" for 3-4 years.

Other than doe tags, there haven't been any "extra" "A or buck tags" for 3-4 years.

I live in MT since 2013 and I have never seen any extra "A" (buck) tags on deer (or on any game or species) because we are only allowed one buck a year. The surplus has always been on B/doe tags as you noted and it's on a first time first serve basis by hunting areas and it goes quick.

Gentlemen,
Sometimes there are surplus "A" Tags because people that apply from out of state turn them back in. A buddy of mine from upstate New York got one two years ago. He had applied and didn't draw. Montana Fish and Game sent him a letter stating some tags had been returned and he was given an opportunity to take one and he did. I am not sure how they determine who they contact but I would give them a call if you are an out of state hunter. Montana does only allow one "A" (buck) tag per hunter per year unless you apply for an either sex tag in some areas during the special draw.

MT does have (or has had in the past) an alternate's list to re-distribute returned licenses. In year's past it's been everything from "call-in on X day to get a tag or a lottery number, 1st come, 1st served", to "log in on X day to get a lottery number, 1st come 1st served", to what they had last yr which was a 2wk signup period, throw all the alternated into another lottery for their number, then you have 1wk to contact MT FWP to obtain or refuse a license if your number is chose. It looks like there are changes for 2020 that aren't posted yet.

Alternate's list

Sometimes there are surplus "A" Tags because people that apply from out of state turn them back in.

Like I said, ever since I got here in 2013, I have never seen a surplus "A" tag. For non-resident, I never pay attention to it. :)

Montana does only allow one "A" (buck) tag per hunter per year unless you apply for an either sex tag in some areas during the special draw.

Unless it has recently changed, the last time I talked to the Law Enforcement side of MT FWP you still can only legally harvest 1 deer buck (the same is true with antelope buck and bull elk or moose) per year. You have to choose between your general A tag or special draw tag "IF" you are going to harvest a buck. I always apply for special permits for deer and elk and that has been always the case. For instance, when I got drawn for the Beartooth WMA for E/S elk, the special permit tag allowed me to legally hunt the WMA but I had to use my general elk permit to tag my bull elk. I am a 10 minutes drive to Region 4 Office and might have to ask them again sometime.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the O.P was asking about NR leftover tags. Some years the Deer - Elk combo doesnt sell out.

Pretty sure 16 was the last yr the big game combo didn't sell out. Starting in 17, there were folks who didn't draw and not all of them received alternate tags either. The deer combo preceded that by 1-2 yrs.

Like I said, ever since I got here in 2013, I have never seen a surplus "A" tag. For non-resident, I never pay attention to it. :)

Unless it has recently changed, the last time I talked to the Law Enforcement side of MT FWP you still can only legally harvest 1 deer buck (the same is true with antelope buck and bull elk or moose) per year. You have to choose between your general A tag or special draw tag "IF" you are going to harvest a buck. I always apply for special permits for deer and elk and that has been always the case. For instance, when I got drawn for the Beartooth WMA for E/S elk, the special permit tag allowed me to legally hunt the WMA but I had to use my general elk permit to tag my bull elk. I am a 10 minutes drive to Region 4 Office and might have to ask them again sometime.
You can apply for an either sex whitetail tag in area 260, which is a bow hunting only district, and shoot an additional whitetail buck.

You can apply for an either sex whitetail tag in area 260, which is a bow hunting only district, and shoot an additional whitetail buck.

I just read the reg and nowhere it says you get an additional whitetail buck ...

HD 260.JPG

The bottom-line, it is your ultimate responsibility to know the regulation for the game you are after and defend or face the consequences associated with it if you are stopped and inspected by the game warden. That is why I am going to ask the LE side of FWP because your interpretation is not the same as mine.

Good luck on your hunt!

I'm pretty sure Allen Kitts is correct on the 260 Deer B either sex whitetail only license archery equipment only.
A deer B license is additional to your A tag, a permit has to be used with you A tag it explains it in the regs.
This explains it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-061831_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-061831_Drive.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hey buddy I am just trying to be helpful. I have only drawn the 260-20 tag ten to fifteen times in the 30 years I have lived here. My interpretation is correct or I would not have posted it. You are correct in assessment that if you are not sure the best thing to do is ask MFWP. Good luck in your quest and have a great weekend.

I'm pretty sure Allen Kitts is correct on the 260 Deer B either sex whitetail only license archery equipment only.
A deer B license is additional to your A tag, a permit has to be used with you A tag it explains it in the regs.
This explains it.

I got that, but it still does not constitute "legally" harvesting 2nd buck as he noted. "IF" I understand him correctly if he has a 260 archery E/S WT deer tag and a general deer tag, he can harvest two deer bucks. My understanding is that he has two opportunities to harvest a buck; archery only in HD 260 and during general rifle season, but can only legally harvest one deer buck. That is also how the FWP Law Enforcement told me before but as I said, I need to talk to them again if there are any changes. I do not know who writes the hunting regs but they are never clear and concise.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts