montana hunting for dummies?...

ILtoMT50

hi, im looking to take a trip out to montana next year to do some hunting and was wondering what is the best way to go about gettin permits/tags. im not familiar with the points and what you can and cant get as a non resident. i will be going with a old school buddy of mine that lives out there but i figured there would be someone on here that could give me some good info on the subject. i would like to get a antelope, elk, possibly deer too. definitely want meat but wouldnt mind taking a nice rack home aswell if that is possible. here in illinois i get the either sex/antlerless only combo tags(one doe/one buck basiclly) does montana have this for the elk or deer? thanks in advance for any help

im trying to figure out this points system, should i start buying points this year if possible even if i cant get out there to hunt? how does that work, do only elk points count for elk hunts or do all the points accumulate so you can use them for whatever if you have the chance to (use points from elk and antelope to go on a mtn goat hunt or something)? i seen if you have them for 3yrs i think it was that you loose them if you dont use them? sorry for all the f-n-g questions

In MT you have to apply unsuccessfully for your first choice to get a bonus point, you get one bonus point per tag and you can not transfer points from one to another. Bonus points build unless you skip several years then you start all over.

The key to building bonus points while still getting to hunt is to put in for a trophy unit with the first choice then if needed a more realistic unit for your second choice. They have not been selling out of non resident tags so getting the Combo is a given I think. Get the non resident hunting package that they send out!

thank you, i was not aware that there was a package they sent out. ive been on the montana website a number of times since spring but havent seen that. definitely interested, going to have to get on that asap.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.