Whitetail hunting on the Upper Missouri River area, Montana

shooter981

I'm interested in traveling to the Upper Missouri River area of Montana to do some Whitetail deer hunting. Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, Fort Peck Reservoir and the Upper Missouri River Breaks Monument lands are public lands I'm looking at. Can anyone tell me how the Whitetail hunting is and what I can expect for trophy size? Also, where do the Whitetails like to hide in this land? I'm considering a week long float trip down the Missouri to do some hunting. Figured it would be an alternative to driving the back roads and glassing like everyone else. Any suggestions, tips or first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

The river in the CMR is full of boats and hunters, the whitetails are in both the river bottom and out in the dries. Big bucks are very hard to find until the rut and it is normally very cold that time of year. When I do it I either take a jet boat or drive and hike the ridges looking in to the willow flats. Long shots are a must. They raised the water level in the reservoir so lots of the flats are now under water.
Hope that helps, if you have any questions I will try to help.
Lhouston78gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.